Search the forum,

Discuss Do I need to test an old wiring installation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

But you have to be sure the conduit system meets the requirements of Reg 543.2.2, Reg 543.2.6 and reg 543.2.7

In a commercial/Industrial setting I would not rely on it due to the possibility of external influences damaging the conduit and perhaps causing a break in your protection, and most conduit systems in domestic premises from my experience years ago tends to be the old rolled type and is not continuous in a way that would satisfy the regs.

You've got to be joking here surely??

Industry and commercial installations have been relying on metal containment systems long before even i came into this industry. I was brought up on large industrial installations, where the whole kit and caboodle was metallic containment. Not a single CPC to be seen within those extensive containment systems, and not once have i ever seen a low, or loss of Zs values.

What is it with modern day electricians, thinking they know better than the long proven methods of providing more than just adequate protection, both mechanically and electrically?? I haven never seen a well designed and installed external galvanised conduit system circum to normal external influences, where it no-longer provided mechanical/electrical protection. Granted, in an environment where corrosive atmospheres are prevailing, standard metallic conduit would not be suitable. But in general terms, only MICC will out last a good galvanised containment system, ....and you can take that to the bank!! (or perhaps not in today's troubled times...lol!!)

Not all domestic installations used the old ''split conduit'' but i would agree with you, on your point concerning that type of conduit. The only modern day conduit system i would use a separate CPC, is the Yank EMT (think that what it's called) electrical tubing. That stuff relies on grub screws for it's connections!!

Hello everyone - Just to let you know that I tested the existing install as best I could, explained to the customer what, in my opinion, was required and he's agreed that a rewire is required.

Heh heh ..... Yep - I'm looking forward to getting stuck into this one - it'll be the biggest all round job I'll have attempted so far, although not as 'pain-in-the-arris' as wiring combi-boilers to room stats - That is without QUESTION a dark art.

Oh boy ....

JB1.jpgJB2.jpgjb3.jpg

what startled me was the rose in the kitchen. black as night and burnt to a crisp on one side. 2.5mm conductor running to it. The light was still operational, circuit protected by a 5A rewireable fuse. An 80 year old woman lived alone there until recently.

what startled me was the rose in the kitchen. black as night and burnt to a crisp on one side. 2.5mm conductor running to it. The light was still operational, circuit protected by a 5A rewireable fuse. An 80 year old woman lived alone there until recently.

An old lady who I did odd jobs for died recently aged almost ninety and lived in the same house for most of her life started asking me if I thought her house needed a rewire.

It was very borderline, but there was no way she would have survived the upheaval that would have been involved as she was suffering from cancer & everything else, so I told her it would be ok for a while yet - and it would be - but now she's gone it's somebody else's headache.

Reply to Do I need to test an old wiring installation? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock