Currently reading:
Eicr standards

Discuss Eicr standards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I seem to remeber being taught /told that when doing an eicr you should test when possible to the regs that applied at the time of installation but bearing in mind the current regs.
If that makes sense?
So test to old standards but recommend upgrades as per new standards if you like

No, an EICR is carried out to the current regulations.

But it is not an assessment of absolute compliance with current regulations. You are reporting on the safety of the installation based on the current regulations, you report only on non-compliances which are dangerous, potentially dangerous or which could be improved for safety.

For example a single phase circuit with a fuse in both the live and the neutral is now reported as potentially dangerous regardless of whether it complied when installed.
However red and black conductors do not comply with current regulations but do not affect safety so do not get reported on.

There is a good IET paper on this, and the myths clearly even if in 1900 we were allowed open knife switches, we can't use them now.

But as to using the regulations valid at the time, pre 1966 we had "Lighting fittings using filament lamps installed" and since we no longer have filament lamps, the regulation allowing no earth to lighting no longer applies, and also the same regulation refereed to "that they cannot readily be touched and are out of reach of earthed metal." so it was never applicable to wall lights.

There seems to be two items which present a problem, one is the earthing in bathrooms, it is far too easy for plastic pipes to result in loss of earth, and also sockets likely to be used outside, both seem to call for the use of 30 mA RCD protection.

So the RCD seems to be the biggest question today. Be it type A or AC, or if required, or if bi or omni direction.

Personally unless a TT installation the RCD is secondary protection, so not too worried, but it is a case of watch my back, so if you say it does not exist, wrong type etc, and either no code or code C3 you have raised the issue, I can't see a court taking you to task for wrong code, but they may for saying nothing.

But the IET myths busting was an eye opening for me, I have even seen code 2 on type of RCD fitted never mind missed out completely.

The Best Practice Guide #4 is a useful document to read in terms of how you might code in an EICR, but it is just that - guidance.

There will always be unusual circumstances when a different code is merited than the simple guidance suggests and that is where a degree of experience and good knowledge not just of what the regs are, but why some of them are there matters. To me it seems a reasonable explanation is:
  • C1 = danger now (exposed live) or any fault is a major danger (reverse polarity)
  • C2 = one fault away from C1
  • C3 = two fault away from C1, or needs a very unfortunate fault to present danger

Reply to Eicr standards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back