Discuss Electrical and capacitor help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum.

I have been asked to look at this for one of our guys who's had an issue onsite after some electrical works had been carried out, after some advice and potential causes and remedies please.

Long story short. Asked for a socket to be installed inside a depot only open to our workers, nothing external to be used on this. A 16amp 3-phase commando socket was installed from a local board with no RCD protection, surface wired steel wired armour. RCD could only be installed at the socket, not the board, but one wasn't.

It would appear that the wiring had been terminated incorrectly, giving one of our workers a slight belt on some metal work. The area is fenced off by metal fencing, which has no direct earth path to a board.

As you can see the diagram shows the wiring mistake, L2 into the earth terminal on the plastic box (both black cables). Now, this is a plastic box and no direct connection to the fencing. It wasn't until a capacitor testing machine was plugged into the socket that an earth fault has occurred and livened up the fence door handle.

Could anyone answer the below please?

1, the capacitor tester apparently throws out a 100v pre test volt apparently to pre-check across the 3 phases? Unsure on these testing machines.
2, if this is the case would this cause an imbalance on the star connections, forcing ampage up the L2 to the earth?
3, there is a safety switch mounted to the fencing connected to the capacitor to ensure you cannot open the door whilst the machine is live, essentially killing the power, possibly a point of contact to the fencing.
4, assuming this has back fed through the capacitor tester from the 2 phases that are correctly connected, up the earth wire to the commando socket, livening up the steel part of the SWA?
5, would an RCD at the commando socket stopped this potentially?

Any help greatly received, if any more info is needed just ask.

Not sure on how capacitor testers operate.

Thank you

John

Attachments

• Wiring of commando.pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 10
My take on this, trying to understand why someone got a shock is not important. What is important was the incorrectly connecting socket indicating correct dead tests were not carried out, to connect a line conductor to the earth terminal is a serious error but testing would have identified it. Did you get certification for it.

Any device plugged into this socket would have mains voltage on all its exposed metalwork (assuming it is a class 1 appliance) (most 3 phase equipment is)

with such a serous wiring fault and no rcd protection, It is Simpley good fortune that nobody has been killed.

FYI as this happened in a workplace, the company is required by law to report the incident to the HSE

I agree completely with James.
The fact that such a dangerous situation was allowed to occur shows a serious weakness in procedure at the company. I trust the company Health and Safety representative is on the case.
I'm not sure discussing this on an open forum is appropriate, since legal process might follow?

"A catalogue of errors" would be the appropriate phrase here and I agree with Avo and James that HSE need to be involved rather than this forum. That said, in months to come after that has happened, do come back and tell us, please.

Reply to Electrical and capacitor help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net