Discuss Electrical Courses and Advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andy00

Hey guys I was just hoping to get some advice from people who know a little more about the qualification system. Basically I've been training to become an Electrician for about 3 years now during this time Ive been to college for 2 years which originally was supposed to be 3 which included me going to college once a week (9am - 8.30 for my first year) and passed everything so far which includes a level 2/3 NVQ (I think) this included a few pc exams and a few written papers which also included after my first year a practical exam I did at college (6 hours long roughly) and a few Inspection and Testing exams. To finish my course I need to finish off three written job reports for my portfolio and my AM2 practical exam. This also includes site inspections from college ever few months etc etc.

My problem is that when I left school I really had no clue what I wanted to do so working for my dad training to be an Electrician seemed the "easy" option but.. my dads only got the experience of the job hes never been to college and hes never bothered with qualifications so this is were it leads to my question.. my dad knows nothing about testing or should I say how testing should be done..

Now how it works at the moment is that we need to get someone else in to sign off our work which costs money (we are a small domestic company of 2/3 members) and I want to be able to do this myself, it will not only open doors for me but the company as a whole. We have a very good rep as a local company founded in 1919 we are the oldest in our town but we cannot take things like council work as we cannot sign off our own stuff.

So what I want to know is when Im finished with my AM2 etc what else do I need to do to be able to sign off the certs etc which company do I need to be registered with and what Qualifications do I need to obtain

Any help would be great :)

Have you not spoken to your tutor about gaining an appropriate inspection and testing qualification? Is inspection and testing not covered in your course anyway?? You will ideally (unfortunately) be best off joining a scam provider (NICEIC, Elecsa or Napit) to enable you to self-certify your work.....they will also make Part P notification a lot easier.

Yes my course does involve some testing but Im not sure that will mean I have all the required stuff to be able to sign the certs off

Reply to Electrical Courses and Advice in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net