Discuss Emergency Lighting Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

gap30

Hi all,

Been asked to quote for an emergency lighting test, this is something I have been involved in briefly in the past when I was an apprentice many years ago!

Now I know a bit of the basics on BS5266, also I know you have to let the lamps run for their full duration in test mode ie 3 hours

Being totally honest here, well experienced sparky but do not know a lot on this, I have tysoft easycert and have been looking over a blank cert

Can anyone fill me in on this or point me in the right direction please?

Also do i need a light meter?

Thanks Gary

Thanks for reply

Its for a nationwide well known brand so I need it to look official, the easycert certificate asks for test meter numbers thats more what I am asking, the is a tick page similar to eicr do i fill these in and leave the rest blank

I was thinking along the lines of what you said, 3 hour test and make sure all lamps working, areas well lit, keyswitches operating etc etc

I would also check that the escape routes have not changed, check that the escape signs are all pointing in the right direction and are lit when EM is in test.
There are other regs as well to check the design but making sure they actually do light up when power is disrupted is No 1 for sure.
There is a small booklet similar to the OSG for EM - dont have it to hand buts its quite useful for design etc

As per Farmelectrics, on the sites I visit the nominated member of staff checks monthly for basic operation.

Then the main lighting contractor does a 3hr test anually.

If it's your first visit, you need to document all the light locatiions and number them for easy fault reporting, unless they've been done.
Document test switch locations.
Check normal lighting is still adequate during testing.
Check the E.M are at key points on the exit route.
Test for 3hrs.

On arrival I'd go for the test switches straight away and do all the walk round whilst your 3hrs are ticking away.

Reply to Emergency Lighting Testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net