Currently reading:
Future for installers

Discuss Future for installers in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
What your prediciton for the next 12 mths !

NOW - DEC 11 - BUSY
JAN - NOTHING
FEB - NOTHING
March - slowly start seling again
APRIL- NOV 2012 - back to business

MY VIEW ABOVE WHAT YOURS?

The future looks bleaker as, post April, all buildings will need to meet the EPC C level to qualify for the 21p rate. If they fail that they only get 9p.

DECC assess that 86% of properties will need upgrading to meet that. They will have 12 months grace period in order to comply.

This is a trick to try to get the Green Deal off the ground. Without it the Green Deal was looking like a dead duck.

95% of installers will go under after dec, the rest will follow within the following 2-3 months, this will KILL UK solar PV dead.

John

You need a bit more than an few extra inches of loft insulation to get the average house to EPC C.

Whilst it is free to certain households on benefits they are not generally the ones buying PV and B&Q don't exactly give it away either.

If you study the document I get the feeling that those who miss out will looka at installing BEFOR Apr 12. I envisage nothing while people wait for prices to bottom out in Jan, Feb and March. There will be a smaller rush in March to fit to older properties that have no chance of getting a C rating, and those that will cost a lot. I therefore thing beating the "C" rating wil be out next key selling point, but Im still not sure of renewing with REA which is due now-Jan for everyone, so shal wait and see....

You need a bit more than an few extra inches of loft insulation to get the average house to EPC C.

Whilst it is free to certain households on benefits they are not generally the ones buying PV and B&Q don't exactly give it away either.

TedM, Do you know the key issues with the Green Deal or where I can find them out?

I'm pessimistic. The industry won't die but I'd definitely agree that most firms will pack it in.

As soon as I hear a good argument as to why someone will have a system installed with a 14-16 year payback - AFTER spending money getting their home EPC C rated - then I will be very happy.

Having spoken to a number of installers today I'm staggered that some think the glass is half full, they're are the ones that have ignored the energy efficency requirements.

A cynic might think that the insulation/pv installation companies have had a hand in this somewhere, they have proved to good at lobbying in their best interest in the past :-(

I passed my MCS today with only one non conformity (that I corrected before he left).........I carn`t stop laughing at the irony......either that or its my nerves again, the kind I get at funerals.

I can't see Green Deal working. I don't know if I'm missing something but why would you replace a boiler using a green deal loan cos you're skint and repay it and interest out of the savings you make each year? Year one is great because you feel the financial benefit of the better boiler but by the time you've had 2 price rises from the utilities that benefit has been wiped out. Yes your bill might be slightly less than next door who hasn't done the same as you but you're still going to be paying more for your fuel bills.

What happens when you come to sell your house? By the way there's an outstanding loan of 5k on it because I had double glazing and a new boiler installed - I didn't pay for them but you will through your energy bills.

I just don't get it and I can't possibly see how it's going to help the pv industry. We have a 60's bungalow, cavity wall, 250mm of loft insulation trv's boiler less than 5 years old and we're still only a D rated house - no amount of Green Deal loans are going to help me.

Reply to Future for installers in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back