Discuss Garage supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there.
So I put power into my garage but having a few issues.
I've connected the SWA from a 32amp breaker in the main CU (See yellow arrow in picture) out to the garage CU which has a 16amp breaker for 5 sockets and 6amp for 2 LED Strip lights.
I've earthed this at the garage CU.
Plug sockets work fine but the lights don't.
Soons they're switched in the main CU in the house trips (See red arrow in picture to see what trips)
One this trips the light in the garage continues to flicker?
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518-220249_WhatsApp.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20210518-220908_Gallery.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 32
Is this the same as this thread?

When you say sockets work fine what have you tested them with? What we're your IR test results? Any chance you've got the live connected to that breaker and the neutral in the wrong neutral bar?

More pics would be helpful

Also what size is that swa and what length? Looks like 2.5 to me which would be undersized for 32a mcb at any length. Black and grey also need identified properly as I can see black core connected to neutral of rcd. Rcd in series are a bad idea also you don't need RCD protection in the garage if you've got it from the house. Need I go on?

Also what size is that swa and what length? Looks like 2.5 to me which would be undersized for 32a mcb at any length. Black and grey also need identified properly as I can see black core connected to neutral of rcd. Rcd in series are a bad idea also you don't need RCD protection in the garage if you've got it from the house. Need I go on?
So basically it's a mate who's got family members to attempt to get power to his garage, and regardless what advice I've given its fallen on deaf ears, hence the post here so I can show him.
Basically from the board they've ran 25ish meters of 1.5mm SWA (Live neutral earth normal colours) then realised the need another 25m and connected using a connector block wrapped in tape. This new 25m is in the grey black and brown colours, this is then earthed at the garage CU and wired as shown in the pictures, to be honest i don't think they could've made any more mistakes if they tried!

So basically it's a mate who's got family members to attempt to get power to his garage, and regardless what advice I've given its fallen on deaf ears, hence the post here so I can show him.
Basically from the board they've ran 25ish meters of 1.5mm SWA (Live neutral earth normal colours) then realised the need another 25m and connected using a connector block wrapped in tape. This new 25m is in the grey black and brown colours, this is then earthed at the garage CU and wired as shown in the pictures, to be honest i don't think they could've made any more mistakes if they tried!

So what makes you think your mates family member is going to take any notice of some people on a forum if they don't listen to you? He probably thinks all trades people are rip-off merchants and that's why they tried and failed miserably to do the job themselves.

As above, the 1.5mm SWA is only rated for 21 or 22 amps, depending on installation method.
The voltage drop over 50 meters on 1.5mm SWA at 20A is about 7%, which is to high for the 3% for lighting.
You are looking at 8 amps to get under the 3%.

Tell him to get an electrician in to do a proper job, then just leave him to it.

Sounds like an absolute mess stay clear and don't get involved. Just get him to call in a qualified spark to sort it out sounds shocking.

Hi there.
So I put power into my garage but having a few issues.
I've connected the SWA from a 32amp breaker in the main CU (See yellow arrow in picture) out to the garage CU which has a 16amp breaker for 5 sockets and 6amp for 2 LED Strip lights.
I've earthed this at the garage CU.
Plug sockets work fine but the lights don't.
Soons they're switched in the main CU in the house trips (See red arrow in picture to see what trips)
One this trips the light in the garage continues to flicker?
Any suggestions?

Thanks
Yeah get a Sparky in to check the wiring out.

@P123456 Any feedback from your mates family member? Or does he think what he has done is all ok?

@P123456 Any feedback from your mates family member? Or does he think what he has done is all ok?
@Spoon They know mate, but still sure they're going to attempt it again as they have gone and brought a drum of 10mm SWA to replace the 2.5mm they already had.
Funny thing is, it's a new build with electricians still on site, one quoted them for it, but deep pockets, short arms comes to mind!

Reply to Garage supply in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net