Discuss GET electronic dimmers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I installed Get electronic dimmers in a flat about a year ago, the client has rung me up and says the lights flicker when the dimmers are at full power, I've never come across this. its usually the other way round. Anybody come across this or has any ideas

Thanks for your quick reply, these lamps are halogens, they work fine when dimmed just below full power and all the way down, The switches are GET MULTI-WAY DIGITAL DIMMERS

Dimmers are prone to flickering if they're overloaded or underloaded. Have they reduced or increased the wattage of the halogen lamps in the fittings? I also noticed you said dimmers pleural. Are the flickering dimmers all on the same supply circuit or same switch?

They haven't said, i'm not going there till next week, i've sent them an email asking for more info,just wanted to know if someone had issues with this same make of switch, they were only
new out at the time i installed them.
Thanks again for your help

Hi Guys

I have the same issue to try and resolve!

When up full they flicker.

Paul have you resolved the issue or point me in the right direction!!

Taa

I saw this a number of years ago with a GET dimmer, I replaced it with one from another manufacturer (MK) which is still working OK. When I got the unit back to the office I found the reason for the fault GET had used inverse parallel SCRs instead of a more expensive Triac, one SCR had failed and the dimming was only happening very coarsely on negative going half cycles.
Maybe you have have a similar old stock dimmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Mark.

The house is full of the dimmers with Multiway Press switches that give a 2way dimming function using a RS switch line back to the dimmer.
Would the MK be the same? or do you feel if i replaced with a new type GET dimmer module then the problem would resolve?

Thank you for your time!

Last edited by a moderator:
These get dimmer modules only seem to last year, I've put them throughout on two houses, I thought they were great, looked good and was very handy to have masrter slaves so you could dim both ends. However almost a year to the day I got called back to both houses with the same dimmer problem, ie , they were flickering on full power, I have a very sympathetic wholesaler who swaps over the switches for me when I bring the dud ones in. it's cost me 4 days so far. I fear putting in new versions of the same switch will only bring me back a year later to change it again, looking for an alternative I believe varilite do a master slave version. I don't beleave MK do. Are the new versions of these get dimmers sorted,,,
The house is full of the dimmers with Multiway Press switches that give a 2way dimming function using a RS switch line back to the dimmer.
Would the MK be the same? or do you feel if i replaced with a new type GET dimmer module then the problem would resolve?

Thank you for your time![/QUOTE]

These get dimmer modules only seem to last year, I've put them throughout on two houses, I thought they were great, looked good and was very handy to have masrter slaves so you could dim both ends. However almost a year to the day I got called back to both houses with the same dimmer problem, ie , they were flickering on full power, I have a very sympathetic wholesaler who swaps over the switches for me when I bring the dud ones in. it's cost me 4 days so far. I fear putting in new versions of the same switch will only bring me back a year later to change it again, looking for an alternative I believe varilite do a master slave version. I don't beleave MK do. Are the new versions of these get dimmers sorted,,,

Thank you for your time!
[/QUOTE]
I've experienced the same problem with at least 6 of these dimmers over the past 3 years. Most of the first batch developed the problem within a year. They were on circuits feeding various loads. All were installed in deep metal boxes. One of them fed a single 60W incandescent lamp, one drove eight 35W halogen spots. The rest were feeding 200-250W loads. All the early ones were replaced by the wholesaler. The most recent failures are right now with Schneider and I'm awaiting their diagnosis. I'll post the results as soon as I have them. However, I have a feeling that my thanks will be going to the person who mentioned MK...

Hi, can't believe it I've been called back to this house again, six of the dimmers have failed, ie they are pulsing at full power. I have replaced these already.has anybody got any more information on these GET dimmers, I believe Schneider bought them out. Tiger Tiger did they get back to you

Hi, can't believe it I've been called back to this house again, six of the dimmers have failed, ie they are pulsing at full power. I have replaced these already.has anybody got any more information on these GET dimmers, I believe Schneider bought them out. Tiger Tiger did they get back to you

Hi Paul (and Mark1979). I never heard anything more from them. Thought to be fair, I haven't chased them because I've been away for a while. It's probably too early to say if the replacements I installed are going to last because they've been in use for less than a year. You're right, Schneider did buy them out.

I've had very similar problems with the GET/ schneider dimmers. I've removed almost 20 from clients properties and have fitted either 2way switches or MK or similar rotary dimmers. I have had a rep chasing the supplier for an answer to the problem but 6-8 months later I still have no reply( or credit for the faulty gear). The cost to me in terms of labour is running into days and obviously the loss of reputation from the clients who think I've sold them a cheap product!

I have also installed these dimmers in my own home. Nearly 50% have failed in 12 months. They are installed in a range of materials from block through to lathe walls and dim a variety of loads and lamps from halogen gu10's to standard 60w Bc lamps to a 200w halogen. All dimmers that failed had a different load( surprisingly the dimmer working the hardest at 300w is still going!).

i would strongly advise not to fit these dimmers even though they look appealing. Danlers are far superior and work on the same RS 2 wire multi way switching.

I've had very similar problems with the GET/ schneider dimmers. I've removed almost 20 from clients properties and have fitted either 2way switches or MK or similar rotary dimmers. I have had a rep chasing the supplier for an answer to the problem but 6-8 months later I still have no reply( or credit for the faulty gear). The cost to me in terms of labour is running into days and obviously the loss of reputation from the clients who think I've sold them a cheap product!

I have also installed these dimmers in my own home. Nearly 50% have failed in 12 months. They are installed in a range of materials from block through to lathe walls and dim a variety of loads and lamps from halogen gu10's to standard 60w Bc lamps to a 200w halogen. All dimmers that failed had a different load( surprisingly the dimmer working the hardest at 300w is still going!).

i would strongly advise not to fit these dimmers even though they look appealing. Danlers are far superior and work on the same RS 2 wire multi way switching.

Thanks for the comments, Sparkenter. I'm both sorry to hear that you've had problems, but glad (in a way) that you've confirmed my suspicions. It seems to me that Schneider have made a mistake in the specification with one or more components of these things.
Following your mention of Danlers, I had a look at their Web-site and, although their product doesn't look as sexy as the GET one, I think I'll check them out. Like you, I don't want to spend all my time replacing stuff!

Cheers.

Reply to GET electronic dimmers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net