Discuss Good Evening in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Good Evening

I'm Steve and quickly approaching 30 :( I used to work in leisure management and got fed up probably mainly because it was a council run facility I decided to retrain as an electrician. I took a year out and work as a ski guide and holiday rep before starting the course and 1 year became 2 taking me to france, italy, ibiza and crete as a kind of now or never decision. After getting back to the UK the situation has been a mess and I couldn't get in with any electrical firms so just ended up doing office work.

I have been attending evening classes for the last 2 and a bit years and obtained my 2330 level 2 and last week finished my level 3 however don't have a huge amount of on the job experience.

I have booked onto my 17th which is running over 4 Thursday's 10-31 may and also going to give the 2391 a go which is running over 7 Tuesdays starting the 15th May. I'm reasonably confident with basic testing having just completed my 302/3. The reason for doing the 2391 is that I have been told that everything is changing in July and I don't want added expense or hassle however i'm well aware its not a walk in the park. I will be using the GN3 to get to sleep every night.

Has anyone done these two courses side by side is it wise haha? I have every confidence in the lecturers at Chichester college but appreciate that whilst I have obviously gained a lot from the last couple of years and tinkering about at home there is no substitute for being on the tools and the main appeal of the job is that its a constant learning curve.

Question 2 regarding CSCS and ECS cards. I'm struggling to get anywhere without them I have passed my CSCS exam however was advised the ECS is the preferable card so took that exam on Thursday given how long the ECS seems to process is it worth getting my CSCS now or will it just be a waste of money?

I'm currently unemployed having left my previous job at the end of last month so looking for anything anyone can give me. I'm based in Worthing, West Sussex and I'm more than happy to do a free trial period to show how willing i am to learn or if work is not available would love the opportunity just to tag along and watch so if anyone would like to give me a shot drop me a pm and I will forward my CV or preferably meet you in person.

Sorry to rant on and I hope to speak to you all again soon

Steve

Hi & welcome.:)

Sparky Steve, I really liked the idea of you "lurking" for all that time. I can't advise on taking the courses side by side, but in terms of the CSCS and ECS cards here are some things to consider. These cards are primarily required on the large commercial/industrial sites. The ECS card will carry an electrotechnical grade( not sure what the CSCS will show) but based on the qualifications you have described I don't think that you qualify to be graded as an electrician ( no NVQ 3, no AM2). Maybe there is a trainee grade( not sure) but other than that it is Labourer. Your best course of action would be to ring the ECS and find out. I believe that trainee or Labourer are both grades which are available under the CSCS card. Which brings me to the point of your question. If that is the case then I can't see the benefit of the ECS card at this stage ( later yes when you can get graded as an electrician). But if the ECS can't grade you in anything particularly electrical ( i.e. electrician) and if you don't want to wade through their process then the CSCS card will get you onto the sites, if that is what you are trying to achieve. But as I said before you make a decision call the ECS and ask what grade they would give you. Best of luck whatever you do!

Reply to Good Evening in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net