Discuss Help need some advice on Economy 7 meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, need some advice, I moved over from Sse in 2020 to Octpus energy. Whilst I was with SSE I was on E10 when I went over to octopus they put me on E7. I had a old type meter the meters had been installed in 2013 when the flats where built. Anyways I live alone in a 2 bed flat and I work from 8 till 6 daily, I also have no source of heat as all the storage heaters where removed from my flat. My hot water is set to come on between 3 am and 5am each day. My bills where coming in at ÂŁ277pcm. I spoke to octpus about it and they said I am using higher energy during the day. Obviously this is not the case as I am out during the day. The bills are also estimated as I can't get access to my meter as it's a housing association and meters are locked away under building. Eventually I managed to provide them with a meter reading next thing I know they hit me with a ÂŁ3290 bill charging @87.27 pkw peak for 18days wtH. They said they where undercharging me. I asked for someone to come and check my meter but in the mean time I spoke to an advisor who told me that I was using more elec during day and my off peak and peak hrs where off peak 12-5am 1-4 and 8-10 and peak was 5am-1pm 4-8 10-12, and there was no way to change this unless they swap the metre out. I asked for someone to come and check the meter. On the day the engineer was due he called me and said in his notes he wasn't coming to check the meter he was coming to attach a check meter to the meter that was in place to test for an acruraccy test on a E7 meter. When he arrived he went oh you have an E10 meter that's odd as octopus don't do E10. I said I thought I was on E7. He fitted the check meter and left. The check meter stayed in place for a month until it was removed. When it was removed my bills dropped about 3 weeks later I had a smart meter put in. When that engineer came I said I have E10 and he said no you have E7 as we can't fit smart meter with E10. So confusing. Now I have the smart meter my bills have gone down to under. ÂŁ100pcm. I am not doing anything different. Quite the opposite as I have bought little halogen heaters over winter. I took octopus to EO but octopus withheld information I needed to persue the complaint so I missed the deadline. I reached out to the EO regarding this and they said I could open another case if I have evidence which I feel I do. That octopus didn't swap the meter out and set the meter to represent E7 tariff in first place also octopus will not provide me with the check meter results. I have asked numerous of times. I can see what they have given to the EO and not once have they mentioned anything regarding this also it is still showing that on the smart meter readings the peak and off peak times are still the same. Also what does it mean when you see the D0010 flow box go from blue to green or red in usage chart or say quarantined? I understand this is alot.I am sick of being gaslighted by this company I understand that if you use more energy in your off peak times you get charged a higher rate also so my off peak should be set accordingly to E7 not during the day in blocks correct or am. I reaching could this be the cause of the high bill. Also @87.27 kWh between Feb 2022 /April 2023 in east anglia before price garuntee

It sounds like the original meter was reading incorrectly and octopus aren't keen to admit this as they would probably have to refund you.

I would recommend seeking legal advice, probably starting with the citizens advice bureau.

Reply to Help need some advice on Economy 7 meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net