Discuss Help with replacement shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the 'new' circuit is an alteration of an existing circuit, it is not notifiable. What may be notifiable is the installation of your shower; any alteration or addition to existing circuits in special location (special location as defined in part P approved document). Some might argue, that replacing a faulty shower is not altering or adding to existing circuit, but I wouldn't.

Personally, judging by those pictures you posted and your lack of current experience, I would advice to decline the work at this time. Your thinking about the current state of the wiring is correct IMO. Your relatives would be best saving up for that, rather than installing a new shower. Use the bath, or hand wash like us oldies use to do as kids before electric showers were invented.

Quick point about bonding. Whilst no requirement for bonding incoming plastic services, there is a requirement to bond if you cannot confirm services within the property are not separated, i.e. cables draping over metal pipework, which I don't think you can in any domestic property. Can't quote the reg number for now.

Last edited:
So, if it's not too inflammatory, due to the lack of response, that I guess this new CU and so on is going ahead without notification and therefore BC approval? And no doubt a local "qualified" sparks trying to make a go of things will have been sidelined due to an unregistered/unqualified spark "having a bash at it". Not much better than Polish Pete really is it??

I totally respect this and I fully understand what your saying. At the same time though the shower has been there (by the looks of it) for 20 odd years without issue. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand that the point here is that it may only be safe up until there is a fault and then it potentially becomes dangerous. But I have no doubt that If a homeowner in the same situation was to call any number of 'qualified' sparks, loads would just go ahead and replace the shower anyway like for like with very little concern for trying to make it safe(er).

At least I am asking the relevant questions and not just ploughing ahead. I'm doing it under advice and supervision of competent people and my aim is to make it safer by introducing rcd's and rectify the main earth bonding issues.

I have a fair amount of experience, everyone has to get to a level of competency by gaining hands on experience. I feel as though I am going about it the right way.

So, if it's not too inflammatory, due to the lack of response, that I guess this new CU and so on is going ahead without notification and therefore BC approval? And no doubt a local "qualified" sparks trying to make a go of things will have been sidelined due to an unregistered/unqualified spark "having a bash at it". Not much better than Polish Pete really is it??

Resorting to racism now because nobody will take you on :dizzy2:

@ Sparksburnout. The thin ice has now just broken. Take a month off and come back with a better attitude.

Now..... can we keep this thread on track please?

Paul M.

Any complaints, please write them on a bit of toilet paper and post it. It will be given the Staffs full attention.

I totally respect this and I fully understand what your saying. At the same time though the shower has been there (by the looks of it) for 20 odd years without issue. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I understand that the point here is that it may only be safe up until there is a fault and then it potentially becomes dangerous. But I have no doubt that If a homeowner in the same situation was to call any number of 'qualified' sparks, loads would just go ahead and replace the shower anyway like for like with very little concern for trying to make it safe(er).

At least I am asking the relevant questions and not just ploughing ahead. I'm doing it under advice and supervision of competent people and my aim is to make it safer by introducing rcd's and rectify the main earth bonding issues.

I have a fair amount of experience, everyone has to get to a level of competency by gaining hands on experience. I feel as though I am going about it the right way.

OP, you raise a good point, which many home owners would. Things do move on though in terms of safety. You will find though, that manufactures specify that their showers should be protected by an RCD, something you propose. So I doubt very much, you would find any competent electrician would just install like for like.

You are also correct in installing it with the support and supervision of your electrician mentor, which will give you experience.

You will have to consider how you achieve notification to the building control. I would suggest it is notifiable; it's circuit being altered in a zone in a bathroom, and the method suggested for the shower circuit goes a ways further than just altering or adding to, IMO it will become a new circuit.

You could of course, just gloss over the notification and ignore it, but from how you have posted I don't think you would want to do that.

OP, are you more or less clear now? Reconnect shower supply to a one way RCD unit and get a new 10mm bonding conductor to the existing bonding point. If they've used the cpc as the bonding conductor, the resistance is unlikely to be in the order of 0.05 ohms or less. Btw, sometimes you have to just ignore some of the pillocks on here, a lot of these forum users are more interested in slating somebody rather than helping them.

OP, are you more or less clear now? Reconnect shower supply to a one way RCD unit and get a new 10mm bonding conductor to the existing bonding point. If they've used the cpc as the bonding conductor, the resistance is unlikely to be in the order of 0.05 ohms or less. Btw, sometimes you have to just ignore some of the pillocks on here, a lot of these forum users are more interested in slating somebody rather than helping them.

Yes, mate. Much appreciated. I will be doing it under supervision, a plan is in place and Im happy with what Im doing. Thanks to everyone who offered help. Cheers!

Reply to Help with replacement shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net