Search the forum,

Discuss Help with vertical wall bracket fixing system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi can any one give some advice, I am looking for a mounting system to mount panels onto a flat vertical brick wall at an angle.

I guess a "A" frame system to give optimum angle, I assume ground mount A frame brackets will be much to flimsy.

Thanking you in advance for your suggestions

You'll need planning permission if the panels protrude more than 20cm from the wall surface. That will limit the tilt to a maximum of about 10 degrees improvement off the vertical.

Hi,

I too am mounting my panels on a vertical wall. I don't think tilting will improve the output that much from a vertical mounting position. And I too have found the 20cm protrude distance negates planning permission. It's all about how far your eves overhang.

I am using steel galvanised rails bolted to the wall.

Before you think you've got the best solution, bear this scary information guys:

A 15 degree NORTH facing roof will produce more output in a year than a VERTICAL South facing wall.

Why? Angle of incidence from the sun. (work it out if you like)

Solar Nov11 018.jpg
Like that

You almost certainly have got more kWh / annum on a east / west system.

Assuming they are 250W panels, then according to PV*Sol, a gue south vertical 3kW system will generate in the order of 1700kWh and an East / West system would generate in the order of 1900kWh ...

Pays ya money and makes ya choice.

Hi can any one give some advice, I am looking for a mounting system to mount panels onto a flat vertical brick wall at an angle.

I guess a "A" frame system to give optimum angle, I assume ground mount A frame brackets will be much to flimsy.

Thanking you in advance for your suggestions

Hi Guys, sorry perhaps I have not made it very clear, I am envisaging getting planning permission.

I am trying to have 1 row of 8 panels in portrait but the bottom of the panel will be aprox 800mm away from the vertical wall and the top very close ,

giving us about a 35 degree tilt as it were

You could manufacture one from Unistrut (41 x 41) . And treat any cut ends with three coats of galvafroid.

Been used in the offshore indutry for years and 25 years on is still supporting massive sattelite dishes in the middle of the north sea with minimal corrosion.

you'd think the manufacturers would be making pyramid shaped panel set ups , or at least triangular blanks to fill in the sides and make this kind of thing look better....

I was looking at a train station roof today, it had 8 pyramid shaped bits all joined together in a row, and only one of them had skylights on it, I was thinking to myself look how much space there is on the other 7 pillars for solar panels, the skylight windows were tinted, and I thought that the other 7 parts of the roof were wasted space that could have solar panels on them as long as they looked good, so that you had to stare at them to notice that they were solars.....

You could manufacture one from Unistrut (41 x 41) . And treat any cut ends with three coats of galvafroid.

Been used in the offshore indutry for years and 25 years on is still supporting massive sattelite dishes in the middle of the north sea with minimal corrosion.

great stuff that Galvafroid paint, especially for doing tray brackets and cable ladders for heavy armour.....

I can put anyone that wants in touch with the sales rep (will PM you email address) so you can get it cheaper......the funny thing is the sales rep for the UK is/was based in Dubai the last time I checked, this is manufactured in England....

they sell in the USA as well for anybody in America interested, but it gets shipped from Canada....can take a while as it has to go surface due to the contents being flammable and also being very heavy weight wise, they are missing a trick by not having distributors inside the US....would Ideally have a few in New York, Florida, Tennessee and California, that would give them a good sales area...

We should have something in stock that will cover this install, but would need a few more details to completely understand what you want to achieve. Be happy to provide a price if required, please get in touch if of interest.

Reply to Help with vertical wall bracket fixing system in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net