Discuss I feel like I’ve forgot everything !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hii sorry for the post in advance because it’s basically a huge winge.

I’m a 31 year old female who decided to change career in 2019 (ish I can’t actually remember) I done my level 2 & 3 electrical installation with a grade distinction. Got an apprenticeship June 2021. I’m nearing the end of my apprenticeship and I just don’t feel ready at all. I feel like everything I learned in college has totally gone from my head. I can’t remember anything about design current calculations and just anything really 🤯 I’m trying to revise like hell for my AM2s and I can’t get my head around live tests and fault finding. Hand me a drawing and I’ll terminate to it. I’ll gland. I’ll construct tray, pipe etc but I just feel like I don’t understand it enough. No where near enough to be heading to my AM2s. I feel like the installation will be fine but the testing and fault finding will not. Please tell me there is some revision site I may not know about that has some sort of videos on testing and fault finding 😭 I’ve had a long day of paper work and this has what has triggered me I think. Applogiesssss

It's surprising, you can read for hours and seem to get nowhere with lack of understanding but a bit of time in the field, actually working on the issues, can solve an awful lot of problems. Confidence in your abilities can be a great boost, which improves no end with more hands on experience.
Concentrate on getting your qualification and the testing issues. Fault finding comes automatically with understanding.
Have a look at some Chris Kitcher videos. Slow for those who know the game but very explanatory and quite thorough.

Don't panic, once you are working on your own you'll realise it all comes to you quite quickly and it'll all fall into place. Don't worry too much about testing and fault finding on am2 it is pretty basic and you will be allowed to use the on site guide which talks you through each step of the testing. Just take your time and treat it like a day in work

As above, actually doing work is a far quicker and easier way to learn then reading about it for most folks.

Safe isolation is the one thing that absolutely must be drummed in to your head. Beyond that once you start working alongside someone with experience they can help walk you through the various design and testing aspects.

For the majority of domestic work the design aspect is typically a quick look in the OSG table of standard circuits to check length and current rating for a given installation method, along with a check that accessories are suitable for the environment. The more complicated calculations are usually reserved for unusual loads or sub-main circuits where high loads and/or the protection requirements are trickier.

It is common and normal to forget anything taught within 24 hours studies show. It is only constant repetition that makes into memory and even that goes after a time. So don't beat yourself up. The answer to your woes is at hand however. I recommend
Andrew Butler Basic Electrical Formulae. This is not for beginners it is for people who have done the level 3, and need reminding in a condensed form of how to do the basics. And science wise it is basic as these things go so no need to have a hard time about how difficult it is, it isn't! It is a cheap book in electronic or soft back either way. Get it, you won't be sorry.
bit overpriced there but shop around.
I also recommend Unites (the union) pocket books for electricians. Very clear testing diagrams in the one version. Also You tube for any testing faults could help a lot.

Last edited:
Hang in there. As others have unanimously said it gets a lot easier when you are out there doing it.
John Ward videos on testing are brilliant for theory. Kitcher videos, or GSH Electrical videos show actually doing it on the test rig.

Making up a little test rig with a garage board and a couple of small mock circuits might be an idea.
Finally, thinking about what each test is proving in practical terms can help it sink in.

Hang in there. As others have unanimously said it gets a lot easier when you are out there doing it.
John Ward videos on testing are brilliant for theory. Kitcher videos, or GSH Electrical videos show actually doing it on the test rig.

Making up a little test rig with a garage board and a couple of small mock circuits might be an idea.
Finally, thinking about what each test is proving in practical terms can help it sink in.
Then it'll all stay there for the next forty years, when you'll find it all gradually disappears again.

Vote here for John Ward! His videos make for good watching, and testing seems simple when you watch them. If you wanted to make a test rig, David Savery has a great video on this...not the simplest thing if you haven't done it before, but well worth a look.

and if you're watching this David ( I know you are!) I'll just remind everyone that your Christmas special oven heating element replacement video is the best entertainment ever...

Reply to I feel like I’ve forgot everything !! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net