Currently reading:
Inexperienced in house rewires. Guidance needed.

Discuss Inexperienced in house rewires. Guidance needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

OhmSweetOhm

Hi people,

Gonna rewire my house in the forthcoming weeks but I myself work on commercial and industrial projects and have only newly wired houses as an apprentice 2-3 year ago so I am unfamiliar with what should and shouldn't be done in house rewires.
I plan to use this thread for any advice that you lot would like to offer and for myself to ask any questions which I happen to think of!

So my first few are...

• Should outside sockets be part of a ring main or should they be spurred off a ring main?
  • Does a boiler require it's own dedicated circuit?
  • Is it legal to run cables behind skirting boards or must they be run underneath the floorboards and chased into the walls?

Thanks, appreciate it!

Tell you what Ohm, do it on a weekend, pay me my rate and I'll come and keep you right
If you can graft like a slave and keep up with an almost 50 year old we might get it done in one weekend
:)

No offence intended to the OP here, but if you're asking all these questions....should you be attempting the job? Part P? Regs? Stuff like cables behind skirting is an absolute basic.....I'm not trying to be mean or horrible. :)

good question with them boilers. i`ve always been told to run a separate 2.5 for them...
wonder why, as the thing takes max 3amps mainly for control gear.

If possible I normally advise the boiler go on its own RCBO especially if on a dual RCD CU.
I would hate a fault in the winter affecting the user keeping warm.

Why dont we ALL turn up to help? Everyone can bring a skill and we'll get Melinda Messenger to source the gear and I'll get my kids to cry as the credits roll....:sunny:

1) why?.....explain please
2)??
3) safe zones....again explain please rauer

Putting a socket on the ring is always preferable over a spur! I usually spur as a last resort

The boiler can go on the rfc as they usually pull less than 3A but if you get a fault with it your rfc will be tripping out also so it's better to have its own radial so you can isolate just that incase it goes into fault

Safe zones go and read the bgb it osg or approved doc. P it's all in there

Reply to Inexperienced in house rewires. Guidance needed. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock