Discuss Is this wiring okay? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have recently moved house and what to replace the garden shed. The shed has some electrics; a double socket with a fused light switch and a strip bulb coming off of it. I want to keep these but plan to update the units for IP rated ones. I have a picture of the layout if I'm able to post it, but wondered is the wiring layout up to spec and is it a simple matter of swapping out the old sockets and switches for new ones or do I need to do anything extra - I would have thought I needed a fused spur between the socket and light switch nowadays (or if the fused light switch is doing that job).
I assume the double socket in the shed is taken off of a socket in my living room on the opposite side of the brick wall.

Here is an image of the existing wiring - thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4434.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
its a little rough but that is a fused spur being used as a light switch (that is fine)
is the circuit protected by an rcd?

its a little rough but that is a fused spur being used as a light switch (that is fine)
is the circuit protected by an rcd?
yes mate- main fuse board is rcd protected. So if I replace the socket and switched fused spur for external ip rated ones and use the same wiring setup (but neaten it up) then all is good? Reading around the subject it seems to say use a 13Amp double socket with 2.5mm T&E cable to the fused spur. Then from the fused spur the cable can be 1mm T&E to the light bulb and swap out the 13amp fuse on the spur for a 3A one? Is that correct? Cheers for help

to be fair, if it was me, i might well do all the wiring in 2.5mm.
if it is only a single light fitting a couple of meters away then the additional cost is negligible and if someone later changes a fuse to 13A then everything is still protected.

If it's dry in the shed there's likely nothing wrong with the IP rating of the switches and accessories in there. Its white cable which is DIY and fairly old but I would consider that neat for a shed and a DIY job.

If you change the accessories to outdoor ones it would be wise to use stuffing glands that fit t&e. Else, If you're looking for a much better job have it re-wired in conduit. It will give the cables some protection and if you use IP washers, mastic up the entries and glue the joints you will keep them water-resistant.

Reply to Is this wiring okay? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net