Discuss Kitchen Grid switches and safe zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So, I'm having grid switches in my new kitchen for things like cooker hood, dishwasher, fridge freezer, integrated microwave etc...and know how to wire up the switches and sockets as part of a ring final...

But my question is regarding how to route the cables from the above counter grid switches to the under counter/ behind unit, unswitched sockets, while keeping within the regs regarding safe zones.

Is it permitted to run vertically from the switches to appliance socket height, below counter or behind a unit and then form an L shape and run horizontally to the unswitched socket?? Or do I need to route cables up and along the ceiling safe zone and back down, even tho the appliance socket will be below the counter and behind the appliance, thus not immediately visible??

What's the best way to run this??

TL;DR
How do I route cables from grid switch to under counter unswitched socket while staying in safe zones?
You’re only interested in the switches and sockets on the wall…. Doesn’t matter if someone then hides the socket behind a washing machine or whatever.

You do get overzealous kitchen fitters that may not look where sockets etc are, but you can’t plan for idiots.

You’re only interested in the switches and sockets on the wall…. Doesn’t matter if someone then hides the socket behind a washing machine or whatever.

You do get overzealous kitchen fitters that may not look where sockets etc are, but you can’t plan for idiots.
That's all I wanted to know... because it will be behind the machine or a kitchen cabinet I want sure if that changed things. I fully understand the normal principles of safe zones on flat walls but never tried a kitchen before. Wanted to check and double check before things get ripped out for being wrong. Lol

If you follow the example given by @littlespark the isolator provides a safe zone for vertical cable drop and socket provides safe zone for hoizontal run.

Obviously this provides no guarantee that safe zones will be observed by anyone coming behind you, but it does mean you have discharged your obligations to ensure all cables are suitably routed.

If you follow the example given by @littlespark the isolator provides a safe zone for vertical cable drop and socket provides safe zone for hoizontal run.

Obviously this provides no guarantee that safe zones will be observed by anyone coming behind you, but it does mean you have discharged your obligations to ensure all cables are suitably routed.
This is exactly what I needed to know. I am putting steel capping over the cables anyway, but wanted to make sure they are compliant without the requirement to be earthed, as I doubt the capping would protect against a drill.

Reply to Kitchen Grid switches and safe zones in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net