Currently reading:
Labour rates (Domestic electrician)?

Discuss Labour rates (Domestic electrician)? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Forty_Two

DIY
Reaction score
North England (not London) . . . What is a FAIR daily rate (just labour no materials) for an electrician, an electrician qualified to remove and replace a simple domestic consumer unit test and certify that work?

When I use the word FAIR I mean . . . plasterers, brick layers, plumbers, car mechanics etc., etc, all of whom will have (what you and I believe) is a FAIR daily labour rate, and some trades will be more than others . . . . what do you believe that should be for a domestic electrician?

Are the rates in the below link accurate?

I'm with you oracle, to be called an electrician ( or any trade ) and being able to trade after doing one of these courses is an insult to all who have done apprenticeships, and every exam through to the 18th edition.
As for daily rates, I am way behind, I live and work in Hampshire and my labour rate per day is £200. Needs to be adjusted I think !!!
Is that £200 working for yourself Or working for someone else ?

If it is working for yourself you are undercharging by about £100 a day

Indeed but that is also the case for the plumber, joiner, brick layer etc., and every other trade or business. And talking to the builders who are working on huge multilevel extension next door (who also have overheads) I asked them what I (not them) should expect to pay an domestic electrician for a days work and they said £250 - £300 max.
It's likely that your builder has a better grasp of your local rates for sparks than perhaps we do, being local himself.

Something else to bear in mind if paying labour only, rather than an all-in price: you'll presumably be responsible for organising the electrician's work and materials. Make sure you get these right, otherwise you can run into problems that will hold up the job, which can end up costing you money

Indeed but that is also the case for the plumber, joiner, brick layer etc., and every other trade or business. And talking to the builders who are working on huge multilevel extension next door (who also have overheads) I asked them what I (not them) should expect to pay an domestic electrician for a days work and they said £250 - £300 max.
Did you ask the electrician how much you should pay the builder for a days work

£500 a day - £10,000 a month – NICE; that’s more than the Consultant Surgeon is getting after leaving school with 5 A levels, then doing 5 years at University then 5 years as a Junior Doctor – that’s ‘fair’ when your definition of fair = “as much as I can get”.

And being honest and fair I am sure we can presume that all your quotes start at the top, the first line . . . Labour x days at £500 a day?
£500 a day - £10,000 a month – NICE; that’s more than the Consultant Surgeon is getting after leaving school with 5 A levels, then doing 5 years at University then 5 years as a Junior Doctor – that’s ‘fair’ when your definition of fair = “as much as I can get”.

And being honest and fair I am sure we can presume that all your quotes start at the top, the first line . . . Labour x days at £500 a day?
Not sure you understand how pricing works, from your rather offensive reply I'd say you don't understand overheads either. I'm not wasting any more time on this thread with a poster like you, sorry but this is downright disgusting.

Hmmm.. ok what about solicitors, barristers on £300+ per hour? Then don't even get me started on footballers, movies stars, pop stars. And worst still, the talentless people who appear on reality TV shows!

An employed doctor/consultant (unless they have their own practice in which case they can usually afford to employ staff since their rates go up dramatically compared to a basic salary), doesn't have to worry about overheads, insurance, and equipment, quotes, material supply's, chasing payments, sick pay, holiday pay, vehicle maintenance PPE, and all the rest that comes with being a self-employed tradesperson.

You could always employ the local cowboy who will charge you a much lower rate! Then after you can get an experienced electrician in to put it right, who would most likely charge you more for the pleasure of rectifying someone else's crap work.

This is not really the place to dictate on what electricians should charge based on your uninformed and naive opinion.

Good luck

There will always be idiots like this trying to undercut tradespeople as they think they are a level above them. Wouldn't entertain negotiating on my rates, if you dont want to pay get someone else and then the rates will have increased 20% when you call afterwards to get it fixed.

No matter what the rate of pay is whether hourly or daily you can kiss goodbye to the first 20% in VAT, the VAT robber always gets paid and as far as I'm concerned he/she/it/thing or whatever pronoun you want to throw it doesn't do a thing for it! Take out another 16% for your pension contribution (8% co payment if your lucky enough to have an employer that does matched contributions if you don't work for yourself) on top of that the blue holiday forms (CSP) and holidays and there aint much left in the pot after you pay the tax and your accountant and covering the cost of the thieving scumbags who nick any of your gear.

Not sure you understand how pricing works, from your rather offensive reply I'd say you don't understand overheads either. I'm not wasting any more time on this thread with a poster like you, sorry but this is downright disgusting.

If the thread is so disgusting and a waste of your time why did you resurrect it over a year after the last time there as a post in it?

Reply to Labour rates (Domestic electrician)? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back