Currently reading:
LED Lamps and extractor fan problems..

Discuss LED Lamps and extractor fan problems.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ash_s3

A friend of mine has just replaced some halogen GU10 lamps in his bathroom with LED lamps from Amazon.

Hes saying since swapping the lamps, the extractor fan runs continuously. (230v in-line unit in the loft with over run timer)

He tried swapping one LED lamp back to halogen and it worked as it should, timing out after 5mins or so.

Removed the halogen (with the lights switched off) and the fan fired up by itself!

Anyone come across this before? Sounds like a resistance issue to me, would a resistor sort this out?

Cheers

+1 for capacitive coupling.

If it all works fine with gu10s then misbehaves with LEDs fitted then I don't see how it can be connected incorrectly.

How much voltage are we talking about here?

Also, when you say it turns the fan on, if it was only a capacitive thing, then surely it will run out this making the fan switch off on the end of its timer run?

Also, when you say it turns the fan on, if it was only a capacitive thing, then surely it will run out this making the fan switch off on the end of its timer run?

We're not talking about DC filling up a cap which then triggers the fan. The capacitive coupling is AC, providing a weak link between the perm live and switched live; it's a continuous process, so 'running out' doesn't come into it.

No idea of the voltages involved. The voltage required to trigger the fan and the input impedance will vary from one model to the next.

Just saying really, didn't have any comment on it, just for the lesser educated on how its connected thats all, more information than anything.

This is how I see it.
The permanent live is always at the fan, this permanent live is inducing a voltage in the switched live of the 3c&e, the LED lamps won't illuminate with such small voltage so the voltage stays in the conductor.
With halogens, the voltage is dropped through the filament?
i take it that with these timer fans, the motor runs off the perm live and the switched live is just a trigger to start the timer? So even a small voltage could trigger it?

Then the SWL and L to the fan must be wired incorrectly with the lighting circuit.....by removing the halogens which you state brings on the fan, whilst switch off. I would Ask where is the fan getting the SWL voltage from..?

I'm sticking with the theory of its wired incorrectly. I don't buy the inductance thing, we are talking about a bathroom light not a supermarket full of lights.

It's been poorly wired and incorrectly too and we have not been told the full picture like I've frigged around with it and don't know what I'm doing....

How can capacitive coupling run out?

If the trigger for the fan is over sensitive then it could take next to nothing to trigger it.

I'm sticking with the theory of its wired incorrectly. I don't buy the inductance thing, we are talking about a bathroom light not a supermarket full of lights.

It's been poorly wired and incorrectly too and we have not been told the full picture like I've frigged around with it and don't know what I'm doing....

You're mixing inductance and capacitance up, they are two different things.

Capacitive coupling is the effect which caused CFLs to flash and LEDs to glow/flash when installed on some 2 way switched circuits.

In what way are you suggesting it has been wired incorrectly? Can you describe the wiring method you think will cause this bizarre behaviour? I am curious as I cannot think of any way of connecting this which will cause he behaviour described.

It's wired correctly as I installed it about 18 months ago.
Hager J804 in the loft, feed in, twin to pull cord, twin to spotlights and a 3c&e to TP fan isolator then onto the fan.
Fan is a Manrose MF100T, wiring hasn't been interfered with in the meantime.

Reply to LED Lamps and extractor fan problems.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock