Discuss LED panel lights problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

haoshui

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]I have a problem with my latest panel with regard to direction LED`s when the points motors do not have switch functions.The last panel I built was controlling 15 points, all of which have motors with double switches available foir changing the panel lights. This panel has to run four points with Peco surface mount motors which do not have provision for switches along with eight others which do. I am using a probe to change points through a CDU using a 16Vac transformer. The problem is two fold.
1) How do I change the 16Vac to dc for the LED`s. Bridge rectifiers seem to start at 50V.
2) Can anyone think of a way to detect the probe contact, which will only supply power for a very short burst, to change and hold a seperate supply to change the LED`s and keep them on. I have thought about using relays, but how do I make them switch and hold.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is kinda of the wrong forum for such a question having said that ill try give a few feelers....

The rectifiers voltage is max withstand voltage of the device ...ball park figure is 2.5x what you voltage is although the higher voltage range may be cheaper so will do fine, the current rating again id say 2.5x required to allow for surges etc...
The LEDs may need drivers to operate them as you have not specified what kind they are.
Many devices can pick up a probe or contact and many devices can generate a pulse signal ...has your terminology of what you are exactly doing is unfamiliar to me i cant advice further ... .any chance of diagrams, pics or drawings.

Is this a model railway project?..

Last edited:
Bit much without a schematic....if your using standard leds, then being a diode it will work on aprox 1.8v ac or dc, so if voltage to led is 16ac then a 2k resister in series with the led, polarity will not be an issue with led on ac.
Bit more info here would help.

A long term customer had an extensive model railway, which was always in the middle of being modified whenever I was there. After years of visits I turned up one day to find it intact and asked to see it running. The auto points turned out to be his wife flying around through room operating them as he shouted instructionsToday a handyman friend rang me for some advice , when I popped round for a look he said the customer had just asked if he would blow her daughters bike tyres up, passing him th pump.
He had called me as they also wanted him to change a fuse , which puzzled him as two near neighbours are electricians. I found a blown 3 amp plug fuse Instead of the expected 5 amp cartridge, no thanks or cup of tea, of course the bike still has flat tyres
Cheers

Reply to LED panel lights problem in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net