Discuss LED self adhesive Rgb colour change tape lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Dustydazzler

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
My eldest wants some Led tape with a remote to put around her window and around her shelves. She showed me a pack on Amazon for about 15 quid that comes with a remote control/

Is this stuff any good ? (as it seems too cheap)

Difficult question to answer if the same LED tape was twice the price would it be seen as being of better quality

Amazon and eBay will always be more risky than a 'proper' LED supplier. Obviously there are good products on amazon, but there's a lot of tat.

Depends on how you weigh up cost and risk.

I've had the bright white LED tape from Wilkinsons in my kitchen for 6 months us and that's been fine so far, despite being cheap. Lovely bright white, and the adhesive hasn't failed yet.

I bought a 5M roll of waterproof LED tape and a driver for £10 about 5 years ago and installed it under my kitchen wall cupboards not had a problem yet and one part of it is right in the line of fire from the steam off the kettle

I bought a 5M roll of waterproof LED tape and a driver for £10 about 5 years ago and installed it under my kitchen wall cupboards not had a problem yet and one part of it is right in the line of fire from the steam off the kettle

Same here. I did give the underside of the cupboard a good clean with isopropyl (or something similar) first though.

Same here. I did give the underside of the cupboard a good clean with isopropyl (or something similar) first though.
Did the same after using the steam cleaner and a bit of cream cleaner to get rid of most of the grease first

My youngest wanted a colour changing LED strip around her bedroom ceiling a few years back. After looking at options to hardwire exactly what she wanted, I ended up going with an Amazon kit as her decor allowed the supply cable to be hidden.

Was it good value? Yes, most certainly.

Was it good quality? Yes and no. For the price it was much better than expected and all functions work perfectly from the remote, but a few different coloured spots have eventually appeared in the strip. No big deal, but I wouldn't have expected this from better quality materials.

One thing that was very good value was the 10M of aluminium profile from Amazon, in which it is fitted. A fraction of what I'd pay at a wholesalers, yet I couldn't tell them apart. You pays your money and takes your choice, but my daughter knows better than to leave this cheap kit switched on when out of her room for any length of time.

Last edited:
As it happens I've just done a job like this.
I was equally ignorant and asked the local wholesalers what is likely to last.

They said the main thing is the actually put the stuff on something that dissipates the heat as failing to do this generally shortens the life. They sell metal channel for this. It also has a clear cover if you want.

The stuff they recommended was:
KSR KSRDL298 LED DRIVER 20W 12V : £16.97
KSR KSR95104 LED STRIP 5.8W M RGB : £4.25 / m
KSR KSR95108 STRIP-WIRE CONNECTOR 3m 12V : £17.38 (I could have just soldered it in hindsight)

This didn't include the controller and remote, as this one was being controlled by ClickSmart+ / Alexa witchcraft. The light switch isolates the driver.
I'd be inclined to get a slightly larger LED driver if I did it again as I was close to capacity. The driver was impressive in that you could actually properly terminate a double insulated T+E cable in it.

They are the discounted prices I got, I didn't look online as I was in a hurry. This is also a customer that I particularly can't afford to upset so didn't want to risk amazon gear even though it might be exactly the same. At least I can say it was recommended to me this way!

My eldest wants some Led tape with a remote to put around her window and around her shelves. She showed me a pack on Amazon for about 15 quid that comes with a remote control/

Is this stuff any good ? (as it seems too cheap)
The Electrical Safety Council are having a purge at the moment to bring awareness about electrical goods bought on online market places
In the UK, online marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay and Wish are not bound to the same laws as traditional retailers. This means that fake and other dangerous electrical products are being sold to unknowing customers. Containing sub-standard or counterfeit parts, they present a serious risk of fire or electric shock.

The Electrical Safety Council are having a purge at the moment to bring awareness about electrical goods bought on online market places
In the UK, online marketplaces such as Amazon, eBay and Wish are not bound to the same laws as traditional retailers. This means that fake and other dangerous electrical products are being sold to unknowing customers. Containing sub-standard or counterfeit parts, they present a serious risk of fire or electric shock.

They did a similar thing a while back regarding the very dodgy mains plugs that some of the cheaper brands tend to use.

I actually bought a 15 quid set off amazon 3 years ago and installed around a seating area in my own garden and it's still going strong. Wasn't expecting more than a year out of it. But at least its outside if it bursts into flames

My brother lowered the centre portion of his ceiling recently and wanted a 15m RGB tape in the recess.
Price for a full custom kit was somewhere around £1500. The price for the drivers and the controllers has rocketed recently.

He ended up with 3 x 5m white sets instead.

My brother lowered the centre portion of his ceiling recently and wanted a 15m RGB tape in the recess.
Price for a full custom kit was somewhere around £1500. The price for the drivers and the controllers has rocketed recently.

He ended up with 3 x 5m white sets instead.

When I priced components for my daughter's room, it was going to end up costing close to £500 to do what she wanted. Under £50 on bits from Amazon seemed like a no-brainer - especially as she was likely to grow tired of coloured lighting and want it all taken down at some stage.

When I priced components for my daughter's room, it was going to end up costing close to £500 to do what she wanted. Under £50 on bits from Amazon seemed like a no-brainer - especially as she was likely to grow tired of coloured lighting and want it all taken down at some stage

Depending on age I wouldn't bet on it.
Did my nieces room a few years back and she still loves it.

Hers would've been comparable to my brothers and it was only about £200 including the controller etc.

Depending on age I wouldn't bet on it.
Did my nieces room a few years back and she still loves it.

Hers would've been comparable to my brothers and it was only about £200 including the controller etc.

Yeah, I still see various colours glowing under the door. The comparison I made was between this cheap & cheerful kit and quality materials that provided the same level of control. Chances are there would have been more cost effective options, but that's what I'd priced up and the cheap option seemed like a no brainer. If it all fails and she still wants to have it, then the profiles are in place and it's a matter of new tape, driver, controls and a switch line. It's not like I lost out on the cost of the kit after three years and counting. You know how it is with kids - some things stick and others are ----ed aside after a few days. This fad had more legs than I expected.

Edit: It would appear as though 't o s s' falls foul of the word filter.

Reply to LED self adhesive Rgb colour change tape lights in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net