Discuss Light switch controls both hallway and living room in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a property. I have made an offer, and after my own little survey, I noticed a few issues with the electrics.

The current owner has installed a partition wall where you enter the property to create a hallway that is separate from the living room (before you entered the property into the living room.

However, the light switch is in its original position and control the hallway lights and the living room lights. The living room doesn't have its own designated light switch. If you want to control the living room lights, you must do so from the hallway which is separated from the living room by a door.

Another small issue I noticed is that in one of the bedrooms, an extension lead is hardwired behind skirting board to create a socket outlet in a favourable position. It is plugged into a socket in a wardrobe that isn't easily accessible.

Would these issues fail an electrical installation inspection? Is it worth negotiating with the seller to reduce the price in order to fix these issues?

Many thanks for your advice.

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a property. I have made an offer, and after my own little survey, I noticed a few issues with the electrics.

The current owner has installed a partition wall where you enter the property to create a hallway that is separate from the living room (before you entered the property into the living room.

However, the light switch is in its original position and control the hallway lights and the living room lights. The living room doesn't have its own designated light switch. If you want to control the living room lights, you must do so from the hallway which is separated from the living room by a door.

Another small issue I noticed is that in one of the bedrooms, an extension lead is hardwired behind skirting board to create a socket outlet in a favourable position. It is plugged into a socket in a wardrobe that isn't easily accessible.

Would these issues fail an electrical installation inspection? Is it worth negotiating with the seller to reduce the price in order to fix these issues?

Many thanks for your advice.
The light switch wouldn’t necessarily fail an inspection, it’s just not ideal having to switch your lights on from the hall. As for the extension lead, if it’s plugged into a socket in a wardrobe it would not be considered hardwired and therefore wouldn’t fall under the electrical inspection, it would be classed as a portable appliance and fall under pat testing.

Both issues are easily solved, but no harm in making a point of them and asking for a discount to cover an EICR and the remedial works. Not convinced it will get you anywhere though.

He's basically installed the wall and didn't want to move the light. A good (shows he didn't want to mess with the electrics) or a bad (it's rough) thing depending on how you look at it.

If i was spending a couple hundred grand on a property i'd carry out my own EICR for a couple of ton, just so you know what you're getting into. Well worth £250.

Last edited:

Reply to Light switch controls both hallway and living room in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net