Search the forum,

Discuss Lost certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

sparks1234

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

Certificates not quite lost but at the time of certification we kept all info on laptop, lesson learned and we now also keep paper copies, that doesn't help though.
Anyway the job was January 2012 so nearly 2 years ago, certs were sent at the time in the post but the builder has either lost them or passed them on to the client who says they cannot find them or don't have them.
Any ideas on where we would stand as the builder is getting quite nasty and threatening remembering the job was 2 years ago and the laptop was destroyed last Christmas.
Many thanks

You should always have paper copies but as you don't seem to have those, I would explain the situation with the client and offer to re-test the premises again (at your normal cost to the customer!) What else can you be expected to do under the circumstance!

Hi Guys.

Certificates not quite lost but at the time of certification we kept all info on laptop, lesson learned and we now also keep paper copies, that doesn't help though.
Anyway the job was January 2012 so nearly 2 years ago, certs were sent at the time in the post but the builder has either lost them or passed them on to the client who says they cannot find them or don't have them.
Any ideas on where we would stand as the builder is getting quite nasty and threatening remembering the job was 2 years ago and the laptop was destroyed last Christmas.
Many thanks
and?

you should keep copies for a min of 3 years...

and?

you should keep copies for a min of 3 years...

Yep, and would have done but unfortunately it was on computer, have many many older certs and have about the last 12 months but in our wisdom we went all electronic and it hasn't helped, technology sometimes doesn't always work.
But, saying all that, what I'm really after is what is the legal situation, obviously sent an email to NICEIC but they are closed until 2nd January so was just gathering opinions.

Many thanks.

Yep, and would have done but unfortunately it was on computer, have many many older certs and have about the last 12 months but in our wisdom we went all electronic and it hasn't helped, technology sometimes doesn't always work.
But, saying all that, what I'm really after is what is the legal situation, obviously sent an email to NICEIC but they are closed until 2nd January so was just gathering opinions.

Many thanks.
well theres nothing wrong with electronic filing of certification issued....but prudent to keep backups in file...or at least on another disc...

mind you whats done is done..isn`t it...

so theres no way of getting a copy of the certs issued...even if it means visiting the properties concerned....and getting your hands on the certification that was issued to the client/s at the time....

i mean if the builder has lost it then he has to accept part of the blame...but ultimately we keep records for a reason...dont we....

never mind....it may be a case of going round on this one with the flukes....and just hoping that there are no more incidances like this in the near future...

January 2012 so nearly 2 years ago, certs were sent at the time in the post but the builder has either lost them or passed them on to the client who says they cannot find them or don't have them.

Always keep a paper copy, but anyway...

I can see 3 options from the above statement.

1. If you want to be tough, "you (the customer) lost it, you pay for a test.

2. Ok, I lost my copies so I'll do an EICR for 50% of my normal cost.

3. Ok I cocked up and lost the copy of your certs which I should have. I'll test the installation for the same admin costs I would charge for re-issuing the certs. (test it, cert it and keep customer and builder happy, wont take long).

Lets see how much NIC will charge you for them to e-mail a copy of your own test results? That is option 4!

1)...wont work Paul...as the person that carried out the work has a duty of care to have a copy available for a min of 3 years....you could charge for issuing a copy from file....but not to retest..

2)...you couldn`t replace an EIC with an EICR...as you carried out the work...and lost the backup documentation for it...

3)...this is more like it mate...

Reply to Lost certificates in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net