Discuss Mains cable to consumer unit top floor flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Im starting a re-wire of a top floor flat, they have run an 16mm T&E with a 6mm earth from the ground floor to the 3rd floor feeding the CU, replacing this cable is practically impossible as there is no way of getting down without going through other flats. Looking for some advice of how others have gotten around this?
Do I fit a small board at the main incoming downstairs and protect the cable with a time delayed RCD?

Im starting a re-wire of a top floor flat, they have run an 16mm T&E with a 6mm earth from the ground floor to the 3rd floor feeding the CU, replacing this cable is practically impossible as there is no way of getting down without going through other flats. Looking for some advice of how others have gotten around this?
Do I fit a small board at the main incoming downstairs and protect the cable with a time delayed RCD?

Will a time delayed RCD meet regs?

At the end of the day if you can't meet regs then the cable may need replacing.

Hi, being its top floor, could you not run SWA cable from downstairs drill out and run up externally into loft space and drop down to CU position.
The only problem suppose would be gaining permission from the L/Lord to run a cable up the building worth making inquires or even running internally up landing stair case if possible.

Hi, being its top floor, could you not run SWA cable from downstairs drill out and run up externally into loft space and drop down to CU position.
The only problem suppose would be gaining permission from the L/Lord to run a cable up the building worth making inquires or even running internally up landing stair case if possible.
Hi, thanks for reply problem is it’s in central London so there’s no chance of running a cable directly through the landings or exterior as they won’t alow it.

sub main looks like it will need Rcd protection, the other issue is the size of the cpc which will be ok if MBPC are not required at the Flat.

The only reason it may need rcd protection is if it’s buried <50mm inside the other flats, and we don’t have that information.

It’s no different than regular meter tails in terms of mechanical protection… it’s just a long length, which is taken care of by the 60A fuse.

OP - is this T&E run on the surface or in conduit all the way? Or is any of it below the surface?

I'm guessing not as you were talking about changing the cable or adding RCD protection.

Reply to Mains cable to consumer unit top floor flat in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net