Discuss No space in back box for dimmer modules in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm trying to fit dimmer switches but there there isn't enough space in the back boxes. I have replaced some of the boxes with deeper units and cut down wires but there still isn't enough space. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_6411.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6412.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_6413.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 38
2 options, either set the back box even deeper, or use something like this:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/schne...4KcVZXUDLBDGXGuzwsQaArLhEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Many of the wires could be trimmed a lot to sensible lengths, and you could use the smaller 2273-series Wagos. After that, either chase the back box in deeper as mentined, or use spacers (on white faceplates).

Just to add with this wiring method all feeds, S/L at switch position plus any 3core and earth for 2way, the most sensible option is to use 35mm deep boxes and sink them in deep.
Eng 54 would have something to say about N's at the switch RIP

If it were my job I would remove any old 25mm box and sink a 35mm box in, would take about 15 minutes each box with a hammer and small chisel

and as for whom ever made off those connections did they do it in the dark or something...proper rough

It looks to me like the double box (with 4 switch modules) is screwed to a noggin within a plasterboard stud wall.

Not always easy to knock out or cut into to make deeper.

It looks to me like the double box (with 4 switch modules) is screwed to a noggin within a plasterboard stud wall.

Not always easy to knock out or cut into to make deeper.
Agree think the single box is also in a stud wall looking at the wood screw in the side fixing. A multi tool is your friend to deal within the noggin and then the box could be replaced with a deep dry lining box

I'm trying to fit dimmer switches but there there isn't enough space in the back boxes. I have replaced some of the boxes with deeper units and cut down wires but there still isn't enough space. Any ideas?
Hi Benalla,

An easy option would be to fit a SPACER plate behind the switch plate, thus bringing the switch plate forward and increasing the available space behind.

They come in round or sharp corners to match your switch plate and have bare locator holes.

You may need to get longer face plate screws.

Dose that help.????

Hi Benalla,

An easy option would be to fit a SPACER plate behind the switch plate, thus bringing the switch plate forward and increasing the available space behind.

They come in round or sharp corners to match your switch plate and have bare locator holes.

You may need to get longer face plate screws.

Dose that help.????
Already suggested by 2 previous posters.

Reply to No space in back box for dimmer modules in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net