Currently reading:
No wonder kids cant these days.....

Discuss No wonder kids cant these days..... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Calculators, slide rules...
Pah! Log tables every time! :)

Thats take me back, I just caught the back end of using a slide rule in maths. Wouldn't have a clue how to use it now other than knowing you could pull the middle bit out and move a cursor!

And definately prefer using my calculator to log tables .......

They still are, nothing has changed you still have to show your workings.

Now you are joking, ....Nothing has changed?? No such thing as multiple choice questions in any C&G or any other of the exams i sat. You had to answer the question posed with the correct answer. In other words if you hadn't done the studying and the revision, you failed!! lol!!

As the father of two teenagers (16 & 14) it drives me absolutely nuts! "What homework have you got, then?" "Look something up on Google".

When they came out of primary school they knew their times tables, could do long(ish) addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc. Six months at secondary and they've forgotten how to tie their shoe laces. In fairness, the lad's quite bright so I make a point of making him do stuff in his head at home still, but I still pull my hair out sometimes when he reaches for the calculator to do some fairly basic stuff.

LOL......in the middle of writing this post ^^^ I got interrupted by girl going off to school: "Dad, can I have £4 for a new calculator please?" (they sell 'the school one' at school). "Why?" "It's run out of battery". Put a new battery in (it's like witchcraft, you know) and it's still dead so I'm not sure if I've got the right shrapnel around (and sending a sixteen year old girl out the door with a purple and expecting change is just a wasted exercise) so I throw mine at her and say borrow mine for the day and we'll sort it out later, to which she explodes in rage because "yours hasn't got the right buttons on it!!" FFS, shoot me now, I don't want to see the end of civilisation that we appear to be breeding.

As the father of two teenagers (16 & 14) it drives me absolutely nuts! "What homework have you got, then?" "Look something up on Google".

When they came out of primary school they knew their times tables, could do long(ish) addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, etc. Six months at secondary and they've forgotten how to tie their shoe laces. In fairness, the lad's quite bright so I make a point of making him do stuff in his head at home still, but I still pull my hair out sometimes when he reaches for the calculator to do some fairly basic stuff.

LOL......in the middle of writing this post ^^^ I got interrupted by girl going off to school: "Dad, can I have £4 for a new calculator please?" (they sell 'the school one' at school). "Why?" "It's run out of battery". Put a new battery in (it's like witchcraft, you know) and it's still dead so I'm not sure if I've got the right shrapnel around (and sending a sixteen year old girl out the door with a purple and expecting change is just a wasted exercise) so I throw mine at her and say borrow mine for the day and we'll sort it out later, to which she explodes in rage because "yours hasn't got the right buttons on it!!" FFS, shoot me now, I don't want to see the end of civilisation that we appear to be breeding.

I do wonder how much stuff gets chucked out these days because the batteries have run out. My kids usually come to me saying it's stopped and dad goes in his battery box and fixes it. I cringe when I'm at mates houses and they just accept that it stopped so it's been thrown away and they need a new one, they will spend pounds rather than pence but then if the school has a stock of calculators rather than batteries is that the way they are being educated

Reply to No wonder kids cant these days..... in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock