Discuss Notifying Part time Jobs whilst being listed as a PAYE member under Napit scheme in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Well thats a bit of a mouthful! Apologies if this has been mentioned in the past I've done a few searches and have been unable to come up with any answers.

Basically I work for a renewable energy firm (joy), family business in the West Midlands however I've been doing the odd job 'moonlighting' on a weekend or day off ect for a little while now. The problem I have is I dont have my own transport and I only have half the tools necessary so I usually rent my work equipment at a cost. On the plus side Im getting more and more work and the work I do on the side I can charge a damn site more than I earn at my PAYE job.

Now I have a good excuse to get a new van(Tranny hopfully) as my Toyota Corolla's become too much of a luxury to insure and run and Im happy to fill in the blanks with my tools as it gives me freedom to buy a bit of quality. Everything else aside, insurance ect which I will be looking into, Im a little unsure as to where I stand as far as my NAPIT Part P scheme covers me. At my PAYE job the business is covered through NAPIT to notify all the MCS stuff which we do and I am down seperately as an operative covering everything else (Full Scope). Does anyone know if I can still use this to notify any of my sideline jobs or if I would have to pay seperate additional fees. Maintainance I have no problem with but when it comes to CU changes additonal circuits ect then obviously I want to do it all by the book. Also any thoughts on the realistic idea of doing what im doing for the time being? I have a little extra work however im fairly sure I dont have enough to keep me going 5-6 days a week but I am considering cuting my PAYE job to 4 days a week to compensate.

Thanks for the read, any comments appreciated. Joe.

I'm not 100% sure on this one Joe but i would make the strong assumption you will need to get individually registered with your scheme otherwise i would imagine any work you do under your company cover will fall under their responsibility not yours and have to be registered under their name...they may not be keen on that,

Best bet would def be to call your provider and ask the question. They will give you a definitive clear cut answer for sure.

B

Agree with Wade. You didn't ask, but your business plan spot on.
I'd keep the two jobs long as poss til they've had enough. Takes
long time now to build up customer base as no shortage any more
of sparks.

hmm interesting one this,as you are already full scope i first thought ok no proble but all paperwork is in other companies name.i would think if on yearly assesment you contacted them and asked to be put down as sole trader, they could still inspect work you have done for other company.you would need all paperwork in your name for your company including insurance, but saying that this is all guess work ?

i would wait for a reply off someone that may have done this before ringing provider as any chance of charging you twice is in there interest.

I doubt any scheme will allow you to use your employers scheme to register jobs - especially if the employer doesn't know about your "other" work.

If you use your employers scheme to notify they will be picking up the cost of your notifications!

If you use your employers scheme, you will be using their insurance , I reckon. Can't see them being over the moon about that.

Thanks for the interesting replys guys. I can see where the problems would lie, especially in regards to insurance. Huum I'll ring my assessor at some point today to try and see whats what. Just seems a bit odd that I can be a registered competent person twice (I hate paperwork!) unless the only way to do it would to be classed as self employed and still work 4 days for the family business which wouldnt really be an option for myself.

Maybe not quite to the point, but as far as HMRC are concerned, you can be employed and self-employed at the same time. If you're doing jobs on your own account you must notify HMRC that you've started your self-employed business. Don't leave it too long, as it's easiest to keep things straight from the start rather than having to sort it out later.

Reply to Notifying Part time Jobs whilst being listed as a PAYE member under Napit scheme in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net