Search the forum,

Discuss Odd voltages in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It would be more appropriate to say it eats up the current. The source of the voltage is the mains in series with a high impedance (often the inter-core capacitance of a length of cable) which approximates to a current source. Like earth leakage, if you pull it right down to earth / neutral potential via a lower impedance, whether that is a snubber, an actual lighting load or even a direct connection to earth, a certain current will still flow, equal to V/Xc of the cable capacitance.

We always talk of the earth leakage current because the voltage (from the CPC to the MET) is negligible and the sources approximate to current sources. But in these 'ghost voltage' situations people often say ''I'm reading V volts on my meter' because they were testing for voltage at the time, but it would be better to divide that V by the input resistance of the meter and say 'I'm reading I microamps on my meter'.

Seriously, where do you gain this level of knowledge?

Well yes I'm an electrical & electronic engineer, but most of the science of what is going on here is probably already within your field of knowledge. You sometimes have to take a step back and apply theory that you know in new ways and new situations. For example, you'Il be quite familiar with Ohm's law but you might not have tried applying it to the input of your multimeter. You probably know the formula for the reactance of a capacitor, but you might not have tried using it to calculate the leakage current of a cable from its stray capacitance.

If you like I'll walk through what I saw in my mind's eye when you posted the original question.

Reply to Odd voltages in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back