Currently reading:
One to confuse you all!!

Discuss One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

axel132132

Right then this has now happened to me twice.. and ive not a clue whats going on so if anyone has had the same issue it would be good to see what causing it.

Anyways SO i have a 2G2W light switch upstairs and a 2G2W light switch downstairs.. I Wire them both correct.. Up have Brown from 3-core in Common, then black in L1 and grey in L2 and Live in in L1 and Live out in L2.. that controls the lights on the stairs..

Then i do exactly the same with the upstairs lights. Feed in, feed out L1 + L2 etc.. ok all simple so far..

NOW COMES THE CONFUSING BIT..

The stair lights are working fine on the 2-way wikid..
The LED spotlights in the celing dont work.. OK

SO i swap the cables, basically swapping the switch.. NOW the LED spotlights work on the 2-way but the stair lights dont..

OK so maybe the switch is broke.. Change the switch (TWICE still dosent work)..

Umm maybe i have a strapper down or something.. Bell out the strappers.. BELL OUT FINE.. ok now WHAT the hell is going on here??????? Switch is fine, strappers fine and if i move the strappers from one switch to the other it works so this proves that the Live IN to switch and the Live to the light works an that all the lamps are working..

any ideas anyone?

cheers

None of us make the rules.so what about the EWR 1989 an HASAWA 1974,the testing procedure is there for a reason to protect the end user,installer and anyone else involved,this is non negotiable as far as im concerned,now if a gas installer fitted a heating system and didnt do a gas leak test before switch on and blew the street up what would happen,people going to court thats what,you are the installer you should be telling him the procedure and not the other way around.

Yeh maybe so BUT same with speeding, same with doing stuff not to the book all the time.. Like it matters!

people have sped, same thing there if they ran someone over they would go to court.. BUT YOU STILL DO IT

Like ive said before if you do everything by the book nothing will ever get done.. Do you wear goggles every time you drill.. Do you wear steel toe cap boots every day for work, do you drill and tie in your ladder to the wall when doing high works or get someone to foot it..... DO you check your drill EVERY DAY before you start work.. Do you check your VAN for safety every day before you work

and the list goes on.

End of day power on no one in house i know ive wired t good i do a tug test on every connection i do so as far as i see it theres nothing wrong with it.. If i did make a mistake and made a switch live woopy doo im the one who gets the shock

End of bored of your ignorance

Man your starting to REALLY BORE ME

Im in business with a mate, he has the NICEIC end of

It is against the law to use a LOGO without permission even if you pay for there service.. Reason NICEIC logo is not on my site is that reason exactly i have an email currently sent to NICEIC asking for permission, i also have one to C&G etc etc..

OH do you not email before you use logos on ur site and van.. Tut tut mr i do everything by the book has not done something by the book? Tut Tut

can't be bothered to read all the posts so you may of solved this before anyways! i would look at getting rid of all switches incorperate chock blocks or wagos upstairs and down if doesn't work check wirring dead resistance check make sure cable in switch is going back to light and not via distribution board via another circuit.

Yeh maybe so BUT same with speeding, same with doing stuff not to the book all the time.. Like it matters!

people have sped, same thing there if they ran someone over they would go to court.. BUT YOU STILL DO IT

Like ive said before if you do everything by the book nothing will ever get done.. Do you wear goggles every time you drill.. Do you wear steel toe cap boots every day for work, do you drill and tie in your ladder to the wall when doing high works or get someone to foot it..... DO you check your drill EVERY DAY before you start work.. Do you check your VAN for safety every day before you work

and the list goes on.

End of day power on no one in house i know ive wired t good i do a tug test on every connection i do so as far as i see it theres nothing wrong with it.. If i did make a mistake and made a switch live woopy doo im the one who gets the shock

How exactly to you manage to come to the fact that i am ignorant?,you are being offered constructive advice by many members on the forum and are using some quite awful replies to people that have made an effort,but your replies have been shut up retard etc,the ignorance would in my opinion lie with you sir,good evening !!

and the list goes on.

WOW Frighteningly honest in-site into £££££ before your own safety...........what can i add?? ........just hope your right and the Tug Test keeps you safe fella :-/

we are here to help guys remember? i have not dealt with the new fangled led light yet.if this was just About 2 way switching then i think he would of solved it by now.

saying that i have always been brought up on logic and therefore use it as much as possible,look at total problem then diagnose every possibility never mind how remote and tick off each.i was caught out the other day switch not working checked continuity from light switch to light,fine tried to conect new switch failure spent ages trying to work it out,my only solution was that the live into swich was from radial light circuit not going dirctly to switch, iam still trying to work out the settup?

Surly an R1 + R2 dead test would ensure thats its wired correctly. Providing the switches are correctly connected then polarity should be made and broken by each switch whilst testing at every light fitting regardless of what type it is. this should determine your fault. This should determine your fault, I find it bazzare that as its a new build you are trying finding your fault by energising the sytem.

i don't need advice though as i have quoted via my plasterer that i just feed from light fitting to new switch,the only problem i can see is my plasterer will probably do it himself .he has called me out 3 times this month to resolve cr&%p, next time he rings i want call out fee,he is a family member slightly

This forum goes from strength to strength 5 pages for a probably faulty light switch that could have been solved by a bit of testing.

With the number of faulty switches I've had recently it's an achievement to complete a job without at least one faulty switch

just had time andto read this blog if thats what you call it? i am worrying if members like he is should have pub status as not only he has proved that he can't solve simple solutions,as well as showing disregard of testing regulations and have any common manners to well established members.i may be at fault of the knowledge fact in the future but i am willing to learn,this seems lacking off op ?

- - - Updated - - -

just had time andto read this blog if thats what you call it? i am worrying if members like he is should have pub status as not only he has proved that he can't solve simple solutions,as well as showing disregard of testing regulations and have any common manners to well established members.i may be at fault of the knowledge fact in the future but i am willing to learn,this seems lacking off op ?

What did electricians do before the internet was around?

They used one these!!!!

Fluke 115.png

Insane

Your telling us we are thick yet you dont have the intelligence to rectify a simple fault

Ive read your previous posts and threads and it becomes clear how incompetant you really are no matter how much of a master spark you think you are

Seriously get back to school or let a time served competant spark have a look at it, im sorry but if you cant test your own work you shouldnt be installing it.

Did you expect a member to say

" hey axel i had this once before and it turned out to be a ghost turning it on and off downstairs. Had to get the preist round to exorcise"

Take the advice from others, call a ELECTRICIAN

Interesting read this thread....and sadly an increasingly common scenario on this forum...simple problems which professional electricians...(4 apparently!)....are unable to sort.

Regardless of all the shee-it.......Axel,it would be interesting to hear the outcome of this.....did you need to call Ghostbusters in the end?...or was it a faulty switch?......dont keep us in suspenders mate.

I thought I'd add a little, again.....

End tests can be split into three sections for new build

1/ Dead testing - as you go, nice theory but very rarely gets done due to time constraints and cost of labour, as been demonstrated here

2/ Live testing - performed at the end, but sometimes gets done without dead testing

3/ Commissioning tests after the supply has been energized to check that all the switchgear, timers, sensors and accessories are functioning correctly

I can see that its possible to dead test circuits and come out with a clear sheet only to find that when commissioning the installation that some of the accessories fail to operate as they should.

No excuse for not following proper procedures, they are there for good reason , but, as said, many sparks don't follow the rules because its not financially expedient...

Reply to One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock