Currently reading:
One to confuse you all!!

Discuss One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

axel132132

Right then this has now happened to me twice.. and ive not a clue whats going on so if anyone has had the same issue it would be good to see what causing it.

Anyways SO i have a 2G2W light switch upstairs and a 2G2W light switch downstairs.. I Wire them both correct.. Up have Brown from 3-core in Common, then black in L1 and grey in L2 and Live in in L1 and Live out in L2.. that controls the lights on the stairs..

Then i do exactly the same with the upstairs lights. Feed in, feed out L1 + L2 etc.. ok all simple so far..

NOW COMES THE CONFUSING BIT..

The stair lights are working fine on the 2-way wikid..
The LED spotlights in the celing dont work.. OK

SO i swap the cables, basically swapping the switch.. NOW the LED spotlights work on the 2-way but the stair lights dont..

OK so maybe the switch is broke.. Change the switch (TWICE still dosent work)..

Umm maybe i have a strapper down or something.. Bell out the strappers.. BELL OUT FINE.. ok now WHAT the hell is going on here??????? Switch is fine, strappers fine and if i move the strappers from one switch to the other it works so this proves that the Live IN to switch and the Live to the light works an that all the lamps are working..

any ideas anyone?

cheers

What did electricians do before the internet was around?

They used one these!!!!

View attachment 15605

And did a 5 year apprenticeship, can't understand that as the job gets more complicated it becomes easier to get ""Qualified""

The over dramatised title to this thread makes it sound like a brain stumping fault when the reality appears very different exactly how faulty can a two way circuit get

No excuse for not following proper procedures, they are there for good reason , but, as said, many sparks don't follow the rules because its not financially expedient...

To day following the rules is becoming a must what is not financially expedient now when it is installed may be if you subsequently end up in court explaining why somebody was hurt and you admit to not carrying out a fundamental process in the energising of an installation

I can only assume that the OP having carried out functional testing physically locks the installation off to prevent anybody other than the tester from turning it on

Litigation is one of those things that is in the back of the mind everyday or should I say the consequences if it ends up in court with a guilty verdict against you

To day following the rules is becoming a must what is not financially expedient now when it is installed may be if you subsequently end up in court explaining why somebody was hurt and you admit to not carrying out a fundamental process in the energising of an installation

I can only assume that the OP having carried out functional testing physically locks the installation off to prevent anybody other than the tester from turning it on

Litigation is one of those things that is in the back of the mind everyday or should I say the consequences if it ends up in court with a guilty verdict against you

Just stating what happens in real life.

99.9% of short cuts don't get picked up because all appears to work well. But, as we know, as the available power increases, the danger increases. So changing a switch in a domestic environment is not going to impact on the safety of a basic sparks, unless he/she are complete numpties.

The rules are there, legislation through EAWR1989 and HASAWA 1974 are there to enforce poor procedures. If people choose to ignore basic safety procedures then its goodnight to the sparks either through electrocution, burns, litigation. and might cause danger to the client...

Dear oh dear...

Surely Axel, having spent a fair amount of time on here and being an Arms member, would have realised he'd be given a very hard time for some of the things he's said.

I don't think I'd have had the balls to come on here and post about problems with two way lighting (I think I'd have registered a new account and pretended to be a DIYer!)

There are just some things that we're all guilty off, but being guilty of it is one thing, telling everyone about it is just silly! The MCB fairy has a habit of occasionally energising circuits, just as the DNO seal fairy sometimes appears when backs are turned and pulls fuses out...

Shame there is no update, given the amount of useful replies you would have thought that that would be the least he could do - or maybe he'll never update us and just load a new question and move on.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of the new regs with the second amendment..

No hahaha, but I have several 17th edition regs books here which are out of date, the Opening poster can have one if he wants it, I ve never looked at them, everytime I buy one some prat in london in a suit decides to bring another edition out, I still have my 15th somewhere, that has a second amendment, who decides what colour to make the front cover, :biggrin5:

- - - Updated - - -

Shame there is no update, given the amount of useful replies you would have thought that that would be the least he could do - or maybe he'll never update us and just load a new question and move on.

He's still working on the 2 way switching problem he encountered a day or two back I suspect.

It's not going to be easy trying to find a fault especially when you know you've connected it all 100% correctly, and gone the extra mile by taking a bit extra time to carry out a Tug Test too.....can't wait to find out what it turns out to be

Reply to One to confuse you all!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back