Discuss Part M and Smoke detector in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

moose

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not done many full rewires to a domestic so to point.

Client wants sockets to be 400mm (i thought okay as it could be still Disabled height infact as well what if they wanted them lower?)
Client wants his Light switches to be at a lower level of 1300 (original height was about 1400 high again I thought would be ok as well as we where actually lowering them to 1300 etc

Smokes he defo does not want one in lounge/front room as it looks bad on ceiling(remember client), but Corridor, upstairs landing, garage, heat in kitchen.

Thanks for you veiwing.

hehe :) To confirm that the principal heights are okay for the new rewire, and that i can leave out the smoke detector in the lounge, niceic make sure its okay with them.

If it`s a private house, the customer can have exactly what he wants, it is his property......only criteria here is the installation is installed to correct NICEIC standards, as heights are not safety issues, the can be informed on the certificate as variations. And if he does not want smaoke detection, it is his choice

If it`s a private house, the customer can have exactly what he wants, it is his property......only criteria here is the installation is installed to correct NICEIC standards, as heights are not safety issues, the can be informed on the certificate as variations. And if he does not want smaoke detection, it is his choice

Installation to bs 7671 (NICEIC?)

Boydy

Im not sure BS 7671 etc, says In old dwellings you can pick a height that the client wants, but im thinking i agree with you both, but i cant find the info or i wouldn't be here for basic help.

Is there anything you can direct me to ive, looked at Part M and to me it states New and Wall changes to the main property, then its a 450mm, 1200mm etc and a basic rewire like for like with extra here and there should be the same or client specific, but it does say something like if switches are not higher than the highest switch original then its okay.

Big Thanks to you both for help so far.

This is why certification has the section variation ....a lot of people seem wary on using this section, in any installation nothing is always black and white, and sometimes will not meet the bs standard...now as long as it is not dangerous, or totally stupid, a variation is the to cover yourself why you varied from the BS......now this could be a disabled person who wishes switches at a certain level, or sockets half way up a wall. As long as there is no danger involved, you should state in the variation "due to disablement customer requested socket to be installed at 400mm from floor level" . You have installed the wiring to bs, there is no danger here, and you variation states why you have installed the sockets to the height mentioned.

Overskilled...Aico is a good guidance ....but we are stating BS standards, weather bs5839 part 6 or bs7671 there will always be variations and you cant really tell a homeowner the must install a smoke alarm, or how high or low to install sockets.....end of the day it is his property...so my point is this is why we have a variation from bs section in most certification..

socket and switch heights are not deviations from BS7671. the 450mm and 1200mm rule applies only to new build or possibly major renovation works. as long as the positioning of the sockets, switches etc. meets all applicable regs. in BS7671, then the heights are not an issue on a rewire.

Reply to Part M and Smoke detector in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net