Discuss Passing 17th Advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

woodencupbaord

I'm looking to pass my 17th Edition exam early next year, that means I'm to crack on with some serious studying as I plan to do it all by myself home school style, work and life commitments to take care of elsewhere!
I'm not looking to get a job as an electrician, just pass the test for personal satisfaction and for future career CV awesomeness! I've lots of experience doing hands on work but nothing to show for it so far
C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

I made a thread in the intro forum and got a bit of advice there, but to fully reach out, some clarification on what I need and the best way to do it please!

The test is C&G2382-BS7671 correct? What is the -10 -12 part I've seen? Perhaps I've the full course name wrong, I wish to study and pass the 'latest' version of the test.

And to buy:
100% needed is the Regulations themselves: IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition : BS 7671: 2008 With BS7671: 2008 Corrigendum July 2008: Amazon.co.uk: Institution of Engineering & Technology: Books Correct?
AND
On Site Guide IEE On-site Guide; BS 7671 : 2008 IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition: Amazon.co.uk: The Institution of Engineering and Techn: BooksMentioned was the 2011 amendment also:Requirements for Electrical Installations: BS 7671:2008 Incorporating Amendment No 1: 2011: IET Wiring Regulations: Amazon.co.uk: Institution Of Engineering And Technology: Books Is this needed for the test I'd be taking as well or just the RED version?

This was recommended as a study guide Exam Success: IEE Wiring Regulations 2382-10: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Cook, Jonathon Elliot: Books
I've seen this one too, 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations: Explained & Illustrated: Explained and Illustrated IEE Wiring Regulations, 17th edition: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Scaddan IEng; MIIE (elec): Books
Perhaps someone who has either can comment on the 'best' one to help?

And for online resources I've seen: Learning Lounge Learning Lounge - the flexible online learning resource for education and commerce - techincal training, health and safety, and corporate communications. AND this Multiple choice exam practise questions software simulator for the C&G2382 BS7671 17th Edition Wiring Regulations Questions first amendmentAre these recommended to help self study, anyone here using either?

After all that not a bad way to spend a few quid on just books
C:\Users\Adam\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image002.gif

Thanks all!

Can you read the index to a book, and then interpret what you read in the relevant section? If yes, you’ll have no trouble. The only fly in the ointment is the perverse way some questions are asked.

The 17[SUP]th[/SUP] is open-book, the only thing you can’t take in with you is the OSG.

In every question there is a key word or phrase, look through the index and you will get the answer, if it aint in the book there wont be a question about it..easy enough exam, just get familiar with the layout.

Sounds like genuine straight up heartening advice there!

Just looking for the best companion to help get me through that initial learning experience, I've got the BS7671 here now and it's 400 odd pages long (as you guys know)
Not that I'm looking for a substitute to not make me have to read the book, I'm not that naive, just self study help!

If you're going to buy all those books, give the money to me and I'll pass it it for you! :)

Seriously though, the exam is split sequentialy as the regs, can't remember how many Qs on each section. Get good on sections 4 & 5, and a bit of 6.

Good luck

Arch

Last edited by a moderator:
The test is C&G2382-BS7671 correct? What is the -10 -12 part I've seen? Perhaps I've the full course name wrong, I wish to study and pass the 'latest' version of the test.

The qualification title is Level 3 Certificate in the Requirements for Electrical Installations.
The qualification 2382-10 is the current version of the full exam for BS7671:2008
2382-20 is the update from 16th to 17th Edition both of these finish on 31st December.
The new qualification from January for the first amendment of the 17th edition is 2382-12, this is the one you should take.

And to buy:
100% needed is the Regulations themselves: IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition : BS 7671: 2008 With BS7671: 2008 Corrigendum July 2008: Amazon.co.uk: Institution of Engineering & Technology: Books Correct?

This is the old version of the regulations BS7671:2008 (the big red book) to be superseded on 1st January by the first amendment BS7671:2008 AMD1:2011 (the big green book) this is the one you have listed below the on site guide.
The on site guide is very useful as it is more user friendly (and shorter) to read but it is not the regulations on which the exam is based only a summary (with additions).

AND
On Site Guide IEE On-site Guide; BS 7671 : 2008 IEE Wiring Regulations 17th Edition: Amazon.co.uk: The Institution of Engineering and Techn: BooksMentioned was the 2011 amendment also:Requirements for Electrical Installations: BS 7671:2008 Incorporating Amendment No 1: 2011: IET Wiring Regulations: Amazon.co.uk: Institution Of Engineering And Technology: Books Is this needed for the test I'd be taking as well or just the RED version?

This was recommended as a study guide Exam Success: IEE Wiring Regulations 2382-10: Amazon.co.uk: Paul Cook, Jonathon Elliot: Books
I've seen this one too, 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations: Explained & Illustrated: Explained and Illustrated IEE Wiring Regulations, 17th edition: Amazon.co.uk: Brian Scaddan IEng; MIIE (elec): Books
Perhaps someone who has either can comment on the 'best' one to help?
The exam success books are short but good and worth buying to tell you exam techniques for C&G.
Brian Scaddon's books are good but again not the regulations, but easy to read and understand, always check back with the actual regs to clarify the official requirements.
Hope this helps somewhat and that the BS7671 book you have is the green book not the red book.
Good luck, you will need some serious study if you are taking the exam in the new year.

Go to the city and guilds website and search for 2382 and look for the documents for the exam you want and this will give you the exam breakdown, how many questions and how many marks for each section, so you know what you are going to meet.
Ttry some past papers to get the hang of the technique.

Last edited:
Seriously though, the exam is split sequentialy as the regs, can't remember how many Qs on each section. Get good on sections 4 & 5, and a bit of 6.

Arch

I've a book fetish ;)
But about the questions, when you mean sequentially you mean that as you go through the exam in turn you'll be going through the book? Handy way to no roughly where to be checking your answers then!
I read a summary that mentions something like 3 general questions, 5 on health and safety, then 4 on this etc etc. Good format to practise/memorise!

I just did a quick test paper, I'd guess I got 50%, but a few educated guesses there, I need to work onto knowing not 'guessing' :)

Thats great advice Richard Burns, thanks a lot!

This is an honest bit of advise on my part. Don’t get yourself bogged down with Reg. No. ---,YY,Z.

Learn how to cross-reference and interpret the information in the book. It will all be there in front of you in black and white. It’s a simple exam, nothing to get worried about.

You’ve got a choice A, B, C or D, so the answer is written on the screen in front of you, just cross reference it. I even reversed some questions and set off from an answer until I got to the right question. But I’m strange like that.

Transformer earthing. Get to know the main forms of earthing and supply earthing, it will save you time. This is a good one to keep on your PC http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthing_system Plain, simple and down to earth! (Sorry).

Don’t panic Mr. Mannering! Honest you’ll have bags of time to go through it. One way is go through at speed and do the questions that are glaringly obvious, that will take 40% of them out in the first few minutes. Then tackle the rest at your own pace, you will have all the time in the world.

When I took mine a few weeks ago I used a programme called lecsoft it cost me ÂŁ15 quid for the licence and thats it.
Basically it is an exam simulator that is timed and once you've finished it shows you the incorrect answers and where to find them in the book.
I found this really helpful :)

As I've done with a few others on here, PM me your email address and I'll send you a bunch of test questions I scanned from when I did mine.

I got two books on top of the regs and OSG, The NICEIC Guide to the regs / exam (big, thick ring bound thing) which the college course asked we have and then a "guide to exam success" by Paul Cook & John Elliott who's name is in the front of the regs. I NEVER used the NICEIC one really, just the John Elliott book which has a couple of test papers then the same test papers with answers but with in-depth guidance on how the question is answered, where to look plus the calculations used if the question requires it. IMO a very good book to give an edge. As others have said a lot of the questions have a "keyword" that will take you pretty much straight to the answer. MAKE SURE you get the latest book - had a few lads who bought cheapo copies off of Amazon/Ebay and found they had got 16th books -they still passed but a kicker when it turns up in the post and everyone ribs you at college!

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/paul+cook/city+and+guilds+exam+success/6247802/

I've a book fetish ;)
But about the questions, when you mean sequentially you mean that as you go through the exam in turn you'll be going through the book? Handy way to no roughly where to be checking your answers then!
I read a summary that mentions something like 3 general questions, 5 on health and safety, then 4 on this etc etc. Good format to practise/memorise! Essentially, yes, 1st x Qs on Section 1, 2nd y Qs on Section 2 etc etc.
Most are on Sections 4 & 5.

I just did a quick test paper, I'd guess I got 50%, but a few educated guesses there, I need to work onto knowing not 'guessing' :)

Thats great advice Richard Burns, thanks a lot!

General exam advice, answer all the Qs you definitely know first, don't hang about on ones you don't.
Just make a note of the Q number then go back to them, leaving the hardest to last. Nothing worse than running out of time.

Good luck, not that you need it, it's easy!

The 2382-12 exam breakdown is as follows:
Unit Outcome Number of questions %
1 Understand the scope object and fundamental principles of BS7671. 4 6
2 Understand the definitions used within BS7671. 2 23
3 Understand how to assess the general characteristics of electrical installations 6 10
4 Understand requirements of Protection for safety for electrical installations 15 25
5 Understand the requirements for Selection and erection of equipment for electrical installations 14 23
6. Understand the requirements of inspection and testing of electrical installations 4 7
7. Understand the requirements of special installations or locations as identified in BS 7671. 10 17
8 Understand the information contained within the appendices of BS7671. 5 8
Total 60 100
This is listed in the C&G exam spec (link below), as you can see the sections are the chapters in BS7671 moving sequentially on as you go through the exam. 2, 4, 5 and 7 have the big percentages. Dead easy!

http://www.cityandguilds.com/docume...trical-Installation-BS7671-Jun08-QHB-v1.0.pdf

Can you read the index to a book, and then interpret what you read in the relevant section? If yes, you’ll have no trouble. The only fly in the ointment is the perverse way some questions are asked.

The 17[SUP]th[/SUP] is open-book, the only thing you can’t take in with you is the OSG.

Can anyone confirm the remark about the OSG. I was sure that I took this in when I done the 16th, have they they changed the rules?

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm the remark about the OSG. I was sure that I took this in when I done the 16th, have they they changed the rules?
You don't need it, anyway.

The test is on BS7671.

The OSG would not be much help as, as the name suggests, it is a 'guide'.
Some of the tables have already been 'adjusted' so that you don't need to work out anything in the field.

You will be better concentrating on BS7671 and what the regulations actually state rather than what someone thinks they mean.

Sorry to reiterate what others said but it's true you just need to be able to find stuff in the BS7671 book. Best way IMHO is to get that lecsoft software that someone else mentioned. It's what I did and I just did a few mock exams. Lots of the questions reappear with a slightly different angle but you get used to finding where you need to be in book.

Good luck!

I deliver this course, and can give you a few pointers, and tips for success.

Firstly, spend about 3 or 4 hours going over Parts 1,2 and 3, then get hold of some practice papers, and do questions 1 to about 18 or 19. Because the exam questions follow the layout of the book, the first questions will be from parts 1,2 and 3. This will get you used to finding your way around a small part if the book. Next spend about 4 or 5 hours just on Part 4, protection. You will get 15 or 16 questions on part 4, make sure you know your stuff on additional protection, reg 415.1.1 in particular, then try questions 20 to 35 ish. Part 5 selection and erection, this is where you will start to get heavily involved in the appendices, you will have ventured there in the other parts, but it gets major in part 5 and straight from the off. Again 5 or 6 hours on part 5, get used to jumping back and forth into and out of the appendices, then attempt questions 36 to 50. Finally spend 3 or 4 hours on parts 6,7 and the appendices, as these parts are quite well laid out and easy to navigate around, try the last few questions. If you are happy, then try a full dress rehearsal with a different practice paper. Good luck.

Before you decide to spend the national debt on books etc, and use up all your time, i would make sure you can find a centre which will let you take the exam without doing the course, most won't, including where i work.

Cheers.........Howard

Thanks for the advice, I pretty good as it stands just want to make sure I have all the bases covered. I would have brought the green book and the OSG even if I wasn't doing the exam. My office is full of old reference books going back to my collage days. lol

Reply to Passing 17th Advice please in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net