Search the forum,

Discuss Pat testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hsharp

4 Years ago I did a 1 day PAT testing course which gained me a certificate to say that I sat the course.
Would you say, bearing in mind the new amendments in the code of practise, that this would qualify me now to carry out inspection and testing of electrical equipment within my company now?

The reason I ask is because now the company I work for wants another colleague to do the course.

I have now done the newer City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment. I have also got my BS7671, Part P and other domestic installation certificates plus 4 years experience in Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment.
Would you say that this qualifies me to teach a work colleague to carry out Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment?

My thoughts on this is if the qualification I got 4 years ago qualifies me to carry out PAT testing and a student who failed his City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment was told that he was still able to inspect and test. All he had to do was prove he sat the exam.

What a confusing post with little detail of actual courses taken

Are you asking members of this forum to endorse your training as it is not clear whether you have passed any exams or been assessed on any of it.

If you have any doubts about your training and any qualifications you have then it is doubtful you are best placed to train others

Legally, if you can hold a screwdriver then you can pat test. You need to be competent, not certificate or training needed, although the training course would be beneficial. Hope this helps.

I would have thought quote,

"I have now done the newer City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment. I have also got my BS7671, Part P and other domestic installation certificates plus 4 years experience in Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment."

Would have told you that I have past the exam and have been assessed and hold certification.

What more do you need to know?

Whilst you are obviously qualified and competent to carry out testing, I'm not sure that you would be classed as a "teacher" of said training if it came down to something going wrong and your colleague ending up in court.

I am not sure about this but my best guess would be that if something happened you would have to prove that he was competent.

You would need something like a training record etc however it would be better to just get him to sit the course as its a short course and not expensive.

Competence is the word of the day here .... but in those hopefully rare circumstances you find yourself in court having to defend your competence then a passed cert' will hold ground and a failed sitting will not be much help.

Can you consistently and accurately:

Assess safety of appliances from visual and circumstantial evidence?
Determine and calculate suitable test conditions and pass values for any given appliance?
Operate a conventional tester correctly so as to measure these values?
Interpret your overall findings to decide whether the appliance is safe?
Complete appropriate documentation in a compliant manner?

If so, you're probably competent to do PAT testing and streets ahead of many out there doing it every day of the week. I would expect any PAT tester working for me to be able to go somewhat further.

To train another PAT tester, I would expect you to be able to advise and question him on both electrical theory and regulatory and practical aspects of testing, so as to discover the depth of his understanding of what you yourself know. You therefore need insight into things like typical misunderstandings of electrical theory, experience of common PAT testing problems and solutions, experience with a variety of testers and appliances, etc.

4 Years ago I did a 1 day PAT testing course which gained me a certificate to say that I sat the course.
Would you say, bearing in mind the new amendments in the code of practise, that this would qualify me now to carry out inspection and testing of electrical equipment within my company now?

The reason I ask is because now the company I work for wants another colleague to do the course.

I have now done the newer City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment. I have also got my BS7671, Part P and other domestic installation certificates plus 4 years experience in Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment.
Would you say that this qualifies me to teach a work colleague to carry out Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment?

My thoughts on this is if the qualification I got 4 years ago qualifies me to carry out PAT testing and a student who failed his City & Guilds Inspection and Testing of electrical Equipment was told that he was still able to inspect and test. All he had to do was prove he sat the exam.
so ...there is a god...

salvation comes in many forms....

pat testing is without doubt one of the dullest, most boring jobs our industry has ever spawned....

please....dont do it to yourself....!!!

there`s a better way...

You forgot to mention the pay is not worth the effort for a proper spark because you have people who charge 30p per appliance and claim they can properly inspect and test hundreds of appliances per day

May be that's what the training is how to get PAT testing equipment working faster than it can

Can you consistently and accurately:

Assess safety of appliances from visual and circumstantial evidence?
Determine and calculate suitable test conditions and pass values for any given appliance?
Operate a conventional tester correctly so as to measure these values?
Interpret your overall findings to decide whether the appliance is safe?
Complete appropriate documentation in a compliant manner?

If so, you're probably competent to do PAT testing and streets ahead of many out there doing it every day of the week. I would expect any PAT tester working for me to be able to go somewhat further.

To train another PAT tester, I would expect you to be able to advise and question him on both electrical theory and regulatory and practical aspects of testing, so as to discover the depth of his understanding of what you yourself know. You therefore need insight into things like typical misunderstandings of electrical theory, experience of common PAT testing problems and solutions, experience with a variety of testers and appliances, etc.

Yes, I can do all.
I am only going to them show the work collage how to PAT test appliance that come into a charity shop only. not fixed appliances and inform them under no circumstances must they sell there services or attempt to test fixed equipment. there knowledge will be good for what they need and no more or be it on there heads not mine.

Most importantly on how to spot a counterfeit fuse, plug and cable.

They will receive a competence certificate, from the company, stating there limits.

Reply to Pat testing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net