Currently reading:
Pikeys and a stolen substation neutral cable = BANG!!!

Discuss Pikeys and a stolen substation neutral cable = BANG!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

Kirchoff

Hi,
I heard about this on the news. Apparently all the local residents' appliances blew up due to a voltage spike.

I couldn't figure out at first how this happened? Then I started wondering whether, because the secondary winding of the transformer is a 'star' winding and the centre the 'earth/neutral tap it must have caused an inbalance in one of the legs leading to the voltage surge?

I'm not sure if I'm right as I've not worked for many years (ill health).

Any other ideas?

I love these posts about the MV/HV side of things. Most of my work is domestic with the odd commercial/light industrial job so most of this stuff goes right over my head but interesting reading none the less.

If your that interested, then maybe you should think about taking a course, ....say for ''Certified Person''. You may even find it will give you a new career path to follow...

You have to be “certified INSANE” first though.

But seriously if your job requires HV knowledge then go for it. It’s about £2,5K for the first week. Get your company to pay.

I was lucky, as an apprentice I was brought up with 3.3 and 11KV, then on to 60/100KV DC. Safety becomes 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] nature because you don’t get a second chance. Procedures to be adhered to, until something goes wrong and you have to think on your feet.

Go for it if you’re INSANE enough!

Reply to Pikeys and a stolen substation neutral cable = BANG!!! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock