Discuss Qualifications needed for self employed electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am currently going self employed. I was never put through any 18th edition courses, so have booked myself onto my 18th wiring regs.

I want to be able to complete minor works, eicrs etc in my new role, and looking to see what courses i need to take to do this. Reading online is a little vauge.

Currently hold 17th edition inspection and testing.

Any help on this be greatful.

Why do you think you need to pay for an 18the edition course rather than reading up what changed and inwardly digesting, all someone on the course will do is read the 18th edition at you.

Strictly speaking you don't need any qualifications to provide certification in our trade however, should you decide to join a scheme to enable yourself to self certify under Part P then they will be required. The 18th Ed would be one of them.

Why do you think you need to pay for an 18the edition course rather than reading up what changed and inwardly digesting, all someone on the course will do is read the 18th edition at you.
Hi mikey, i was under the understanding that with only having outdated 17th ed, 18th is needed to legally continue installation work legally. Course i looked at has city and guilds 2hr exam included.

Strictly speaking you don't need any qualifications to provide certification in our trade however, should you decide to join a scheme to enable yourself to self certify under Part P then they will be required. The 18th Ed would be one of them.
So going by what you said, I personally can still go about my work, installation and test certs being outdated on 17th edition inspection and testing?

But if i wanted to get say a nic creditation i would then need to update to 18th etc

So going by what you said, I personally can still go about my work, installation and test certs being outdated on 17th edition inspection and testing?

But if i wanted to get say a nic creditation i would then need to update to 18th etc
There is nothing stopping you from doing this however should the worst happen and you needed to defend yourself then qualifications may well be considered as evidence of your competence.

As a professional electrician you really ought to update to the current regs.

Whether you do that with a course, or just take the exam is another matter.

Hi mikey, i was under the understanding that with only having outdated 17th ed, 18th is needed to legally continue installation work legally. Course i looked at has city and guilds 2hr exam included.
There is nothing statutory that says you have to take any course to enable you to work, so whatever you do is not outside the law, saying that the C&G are a respected source of learning and would be adequate defence in the very, very highly unlikely situation that you had to prove competence, unlike the other made up course's offered on line and by most that have jumped on the bandwagon of providing a room for you to sit in and be talked at for money. For some reason an LBC require an electrician to be a member of one of the made up schemes available to notify Part P or pay a supplement to notify, this notification as far as I know is the responsibility of the home owner, not the person carrying out the work requiring notification, happy to be put right if that is not the case, I have been retired longer that the requirement for Part P notification.

Technically all correct however perhaps put it this way - who will you be up against? What quals do they have to show? how is the 'market' representing professionalism to the uninitiated? Is stating that you 'technically' don't need these going to seamlessly allow you to move from one job to the next or will people choose the chap with the scheme and the certs and the insurance.... or you. That's all that would concern me. Quals are never something that reduces how professional you appear, lack of them...?

I do hope this helps, sometimes what is technically correct and what is expected are different things entirely.

Yours

D

(p.s I am aware this is an old thread, I fancied doing some typing)

Unless you are a fully paid up member of the JIB gold club with every qualification going then as far as I know you will need to complete the AM2 before the part P scammers will even take an interest in you.

Reply to Qualifications needed for self employed electricians in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net