Discuss Radial socket outlets on 16A MCB in outhouse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Capn Ahab

Right, bear with me, cos I know this might be boring for some of you, but a bit of advice from an experienced head or two would help to confirm my thinking (or throw me into a mess of confusion....)

I recently got Part P registered (elecsa) and have been doing fairly low key jobs here and there to build up my experience, adding a circuit here, changing a CU there - you know the drill. I still haven't given up the day job, as I know I'm not ready yet...

Anyway, my latest job is to run power 50m across a garden to two circuits in a shed: lighting and a radial with 3 socket outlets. Basically I want to know if it's OK to use a 16A MCB to protect the sockets? The outhouse will eventually be used for drinking and playing darts, so very unlikely to draw much current beyond the lights, maybe a mini fridge and a music system. Before that though it will be used as a makeshift workshop while the guy does his own loft extension, so will run small power tools, but again, unlikely to draw a huge amount of current.

The bit that confuses me, is that the OSG onlys talks about standard socket outlet circuits (20A radials in 2.5mm; 32A radial in 4mm; 32A rings in 2.5mm) unless specified in accordance with 314.3 in the regs, which states (as far as I can tell) that as long as requirements for overcurrent protection, isolation and switching and current carrying capacity are met, you can protect a final circuit how you see fit. Is this right or am I missing something? I'm sure I saw a post up here saying you shouldn't run sockets on a 16A radial recently, but I can't find it now, so I can't cross check it against the reg they were citing...

The installation plan is to have a 32A MCB in the CU, with 4mm 3 core SWA clipped direct to the wall running just under 50m out to a 30mA RCD in the outhouse, with the 16A MCB and the final circuit run in 2.5mm downstream of that. Since the design current is low (say 3kW load max), and 2.5mm cable is easily big enough, I'm thinking this looks OK, but I would welcome being put right by someone who knows their stuff inside out if it's not :D

As regards the SWA, I have also thought about using 3 core 2.5mm. Current carrying = 25A and according to my calculations (where Ib = 13.9A) VD = 10.425v which is under 5%, but pretty near the knuckle. What do you guys recommend, should I go for 2.5mm SWA or is it cutting things too fine?

Many thanks for looking.

If there's a 32A MCB and the cable can carry 25A, thats going to make the MCB over rated.

I wouldn't run 2.5mm in. Remember the on site guide is just that, a guide, and what you mention are common circuit arrangements so this doesn't mean you can only do socket circuits in that way. You could put it on 16A but why not 20A?.

Sent from my Xperia S using next doors WIFI

The 2.5 mm will not comply with a 32 amp circuit breaker but you can fit a 20 amp at the main C.U to reduce to 2.5 mm if you are sure that this will not be overloaded and outside the 5% voltage drop allowable. If you are fitting an armoured and the main board will allow the additional load then fit the 4 mm protected at 32 amp and have additional load available for future upgrades within the outhouse. As previous post points out the on site guide is only advice and not a bible. I would fit a garage CU with a couple of spare ways and protect at 20 amp for the radial sockets . Once you give a customer power in an area its surprising how quick they will load it up.

Hope this helps

as above. go for 4mm SWA or even 6mm SWA on a 32A MCB then a 16A or 20A MCB for sockets and a 6A for lights. personally, for the difference in cost, i'd go with 6mm. winter time could mean a heater or 2 being plugged in.

There isn't much difference in price with the SWA so go with whatever they can afford, and MCB to suit whichever cable you decide. Like happy said its supprising what they will end up plugging in when they have the opertunity.

Cheers guys - very useful responses. I should have said that if I use the 2.5mm I'll drop the MCB at the board to 20A. It's all a bit tight on the voltage drop calcs though, so I may stick to 4mm.

Nice one fellas :D

6mm 2 core swa to outbuilding>TT outbuilding>sockets on 16amp rcbo>lights 0n 6amp rcbo.
Why.................................................because I can

add a 10mm2 and install a little consumer unit and there will be a little more left over for the future if anything else there is required.

Reply to Radial socket outlets on 16A MCB in outhouse in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net