Discuss RCD tripping straight after smart meter install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had somebody ask me about this recently, all the cases i I have heard off have involve mem 2000 rcds for some reason! only when he said to his supplier if they didnt come and move the meter he was going to get an electrician to pull fuse and move the meter or do it himself to prove it was the meter did they come out. once meter was moved - no more tripping.

Had somebody ask me about this recently, all the cases i I have heard off have involve mem 2000 rcds for some reason! only when he said to his supplier if they didnt come and move the meter he was going to get an electrician to pull fuse and move the meter or do it himself to prove it was the meter did they come out. once meter was moved - no more tripping.
Yeah the engineer that came out said similar things. He had seen it before and said a lot of the other engineers who fit the smart meters just fob the problem off an ignore it. The original engineer from SSE told me my RCD was the problem. It was nice to see the problem proved to be their fault

@LastManOnline @swaRRR sorry guys I’m really ignorant with everything related to gas/electric. Just let me know if there’s something unsafe and I can raise it with my landlord. Appreciate the replies :)
Just what i've said above - if those cables are within 25mm of those gas pipes it's considered dangerous by the gas regs and has to be looked into. It's only an inch though, so chances are it could be further than that and the angle just makes it look closer.

Glad it proved to be the meter and you had a helpful engineer who actually got it polled and proved the problem. As for that cable, it's bad. Imagine a live wire touching the gas pipe. Not only will it blow a hole in the copper pipe, it will ignite the gas at the same time. Only needs something sharp to drop on the cable and pipe. Looks like the landlord doesn't pay much for electrical work. The clips are upside down (the nail is supposed to take the weight of the cable, not the plastic clip) and the use of SY cable... Tut tut.

Glad it proved to be the meter and you had a helpful engineer who actually got it polled and proved the problem. As for that cable, it's bad. Imagine a live wire touching the gas pipe. Not only will it blow a hole in the copper pipe, it will ignite the gas at the same time. Only needs something sharp to drop on the cable and pipe. Looks like the landlord doesn't pay much for electrical work. The clips are upside down (the nail is supposed to take the weight of the cable, not the plastic clip) and the use of SY cable... Tut tut.
Yeah, thanks to the community for the help.

I’ll raise it with my landlord at the next opportunity. Somebody did mention that the pipe has an Earth attached to it. Would that make the problem better or worse in the situation you described?

There seems to be a lot of unnecessary scare mongering about the proximity of those cables to that pipework.

I sent the pictures to our kid who’s a gas engineer. He said although not ideal and there should be a 25mm gap, it’s classed as an AR code, (at risk with no immediate danger to life or property). The equivalent of a C3 in our regs (improvement recommended).

Yeah, thanks to the community for the help.

I’ll raise it with my landlord at the next opportunity. Somebody did mention that the pipe has an Earth attached to it. Would that make the problem better or worse in the situation you described?
It should be earthed, that's good, it's called equipotential bonding. It has nothing to do with the safety of the gas pipe / mains cable too close situation. Anyone who does this should be fined.

I have experienced the same problem problems with my Rcd tripping after I have had my smart meter fitted. After reading this I took two sheets of baking foil celotaped them together length way's and molded it around my rcd box to block the signal. It hasn't tripped since so this proves its the signal from the smart meter.

I have experienced the same problem problems with my Rcd tripping after I have had my smart meter fitted. After reading this I took two sheets of baking foil celotaped them together length way's and molded it around my rcd box to block the signal. It hasn't tripped since so this proves its the signal from the smart meter.
They’ll try everything they can to shift the blame. I had to submit a TrustPilot review to get them to listen. It 100% was the smart meter. Since mine was moved further from the RCD, it hasn’t tripped since, and it’s been the best part of a year now.

Reply to RCD tripping straight after smart meter install in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net