Discuss RCD's for PC's in commercial building in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TeeJay711

Hi,

Confusion over weather or not the floor boxes for PC use require RCD's.

I am an on site spark but the recent 5 yearly pointed out that ALL circuits now need to be on RCD.
Lights because they embedded in wall (less than 50mm)
floor boxes because they are for general users and on sockets

Qu. Do you know the reg code for on site skilled person which omits some regs
QU. Do you knwo the reg code for PC use with Rcd's

Tony

Remember that regs don't apply retrospectively, but in the general sense I'd say yes. You might have a hard time trying to argue the under control of skilled person routine for general floor outlets in an office, esp as I guess there's a goodly number of 4ways plugged in as well that could easily be utilised by staff. Therefore, the <20A socket outlet for general purpose rules apply, IMO.

Not sure how many sockets are on the circuit but you may have to break that circuit up if more than 4 pcs are on it if combined with printers etc, nusience tripping may well happen otherwise. I hate RCDs when the circuit it protects houses computers I really do, a flaw in the regs as far as I am concerned.

THANK YOU.

This code is exactly what id seen before but couldn't find it.

To get around this problem of which is going to be nuisance tripping.
411.3.3 (A) Is the supervision of skilled person
(b) Is adding a sticker saying for computer use only.

Brill.

You see, the people i work for would never grasp that we have to upgrade to RCD's and that the nuisance tripping can't be avoided.

I will bat this back to the testing company and get there view.
Cheers
T

in ac systems, additional protection by means of a RCD in accordance with reg 415.1 shall be provided for;
(i)socket outlets with a current not exceeding 20A that are for the use by ordinary persons and are intended for general use,and
(ii) mobile equipment not >32A

an exception to (i) is permitted for;
(a) socket outlets for the use under the supervision of skilled or instructed persons,e.g. in some commercial or industrial locations blah blah blah

- - - Updated - - -

god im slow at typing.

But if the install is to 16th edition where RCDs were not needed, then only a C3, therefore no action needs to be taken to give a satisfactory outcome this observation.

Wait till the 3rd amendment comes out!! RCDs pretty much everywhere you look.

Biff although the reg's allow a way out a lot of local authorities demand RCD use within the schools and colleges ... the trick is to have up front good design possibly with use of Schneider SI trip units ...this issue is when you adapt the old to meet the new ...that cost start to ramp up.

Think these guys are chancers! Any ones we do are only for wall sockets or cleaners sockets. If you install an rcbo on a line of pcs with monitors and the like then you've got a full time job resetting them. Also you wouldn't be sticking an underfloor busbar on a rcbo. What's the difference there? The floor boxes are completely the same with the same use. I clamped one of our buildings main earths just out of curiosity and it was leaking 10amps!! Apparently all quite acceptable.

I have 5 computer classrooms all on rcd protection; 10 pc per circuit and up to press no nuisance tripping but of course not using standard 30mA rcbo's then id be asking for trouble....

The new amendments of the reg due out in the distant future will require a trained and skilled person to be knowledgeable in Electrics so you can't just appoint any tom dick or harry like you can now so regardless of what you can get away with at the moment the omitting or rcd protection is going to get a lot harder.

Biff although the reg's allow a way out a lot of local authorities demand RCD use within the schools and colleges ... the trick is to have up front good design possibly with use of Schneider SI trip units ...this issue is when you adapt the old to meet the new ...that cost start to ramp up.

They used to insist on Isolation transformer systems in school classroom labs and the like, (can't think of the name at present), but that seems to be something else that's been lost!!!

Reply to RCD's for PC's in commercial building in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net