Search the forum,

Discuss recorded cpc size in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you have circuits run in metal trunking (with cpcs) you don't include the trunking when determining/recording the cpc size...

SWA sheath is no different if you are using a core as cpc

If you have circuits run in metal trunking (with cpcs) you don't include the trunking when determining/recording the cpc size...

And the reg that tells you not to?

Not saying you have to include it in the CPC size above the cable conductor CPC size but there is nothing stopping you using it ...... reg 543.2.1

SWA sheath is no different if you are using a core as cpc

Why would anyone be bloody daft enough to include a CPC in earthed trunking containment system?? lol!!

Why would anyone be bloody daft enough to include a CPC in earthed trunking

Strangely enough I have come across a few cases in the past where the 'electrican' was taught on his course that as good practise you should run a seperate CPC to the conduit/trunking ...... new type "apprentice" electrician not a short course!

Why would anyone be bloody daft enough to include a CPC in earthed trunking
?? lol!!

I agree but if you're carrying out EICRs then you will come across it - there have been instances in the past (80s ish) where it has been required for installations in military establishments (if I remember correctly).

Why would anyone be bloody daft enough to include a CPC in earthed trunking containment system?? lol!!

Is that right eng, u should include a cpc if only for good working practice. What happens if the trunking continuity fails! We'll all be buggered if we scrimp on safety. Lol!!!

Is that right eng, u should include a cpc if only for good working practice. What happens if the trunking continuity fails! We'll all be buggered if we scrimp on safety. Lol!!!

But you could say the same about cpc cables...

The benefit to using trunking as cpc is the very favourable R2 values you achieve, to add cable cpcs is just a waste of time, money and the world's resources - don't you care about the environment?? ;)

And the reg that tells you not to?

Not saying you have to include it in the CPC size above the cable conductor CPC size but there is nothing stopping you using it ...... reg 543.2.1

If you are still arguing that you can combine a copper CPC and a steel CPC to make up the required minimum CSA you are WRONG!! Which ever one you do choose, it must be capable of taking the full fault current on it's own, not as a combined entity. A fault will always choose the easiest route to earth, so it will be the copper conductor (with superior conductivity) that will take the hit in a combined copper/steel arrangement!!

What would you know about ''Good Working Practice''?? lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
But you could say the same about cpc cables...

The benefit to using trunking as cpc is the very favourable R2 values you achieve, to add cable cpcs is just a waste of time, money and the world's resources - don't you care about the environment?? ;)

Also, all you will achieve, is filling up the containment systems with pointless CPC's, that can't come close to matching that of the containment system they are enclosed in!!

Ive been to conduit and trunking jobs with no cpc that suffered with poor zs, if there had been a cpc this wouldn't have happened. So you do it your way eng and I'll do it mine, ok.

Also, all you will achieve, is filling up the containment systems with pointless CPC's, that can't come close to matching that of the containment system they are enclosed in!!

Looking at the part of my post you highlighted, then your reply, I am guessing you perhaps 'speed read' it lol

If you are still arguing that you can combine a copper CPC and a steel CPC to make up the required minimum CSA you are WRONG!! Which ever one you do choose, it must be capable of taking the full fault current on it's own, not as a combined entity. A fault will always choose the easiest route to earth, so it will be the copper conductor (with superior conductivity) that will take the hit in a combined copper/steel arrangement!!

Have to disagree with you there.

A fault current will split itself between the two with a ratio depending on resistance of the conductors. It will not all just flow down the one conductor. The steel has an equivalent copper x-sectional area (less than copper because its resistance to current flow is higher) so provided the two together meet the minimum x-sectional area required for the fault you satisfy the requirement.

That is my understanding of why reg 543 permits the mixed use of conductors.

Ive been to conduit and trunking jobs with no cpc that suffered with poor zs, if there had been a cpc this wouldn't have happened. So you do it your way eng and I'll do it mine, ok.

You would also swear that black was white if it suited your purpose!! ...lol!!

Oh i most certainly will, and actually am. There is not a single ''SEPARATE CPC'' in any of our metal containment systems throughout this project (which is around 85% overall, metal containment systems), and our Zs values will be far superior than anything you install with your superfluous CPC's...

Have to disagree with you there.

A fault current will split itself between the two with a ratio depending on resistance of the conductors. It will not all just flow down the one conductor. The steel has an equivalent copper x-sectional area (less than copper because its resistance to current flow is higher) so provided the two together meet the minimum x-sectional area required for the fault you satisfy the requirement.

That is my understanding of why reg 543 permits the mixed use of conductors.

Think about your electrical training, and you'll see that it doesn't and can't work like that!!

Reply to recorded cpc size in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock