Search the forum,

Discuss Recording studio wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Watch out for the quality of the lamps and light switches used in the studio and recording rooms, Some gear can hum and buzz as part of normal operation, this can be lamps as much as transformers, although may not create "noise" on the recording equipment it may be noticeable in the recording.

Consider using 2 consumer units and an Isolation Transformer. The first consumer unit (dirty) can feed the lighting circuit and ring main (not to be used for music equipment). The second consumer unit (clean) can feed the mixing room and the separate booths/areas that need sockets.

Each piece of equipment shall have its own socket spurred from the Clean CU. This isolates the earth from any loop. Install a star point at the CU for the earth's from each spur to be connected to. The star point should then be grounded via its own grounding post.

If there is RF interference then consider installing a Faraday Cage.

Any update on this topic?

Yes two CUs, one clean and one dirty.
No real need to use SY or CY cables, T&E should be good enough.
If you do use 4 core SY/CY cables, make sure that the combined CSA of all the conductors > 10mm², or the high integrity earthing will not comply.
Obviously be carefull about grounding the SY/CY sheath at one end only.

I did one a few years ago for Pye Hastings of Caravan (yes - still going). 6mm SWA from house, industrial combined class surge protection unit (absolutely essential), then standard 32A ring and 6A lighting circuits from a garage CU. Only problem was the dimmer for the CFL spotlights which started buzzing in B flat. Replaced that with a switch and everything has been fine since. As far as I know, the audio earth is well isolated from the mains earthing on good kit so no exceptional earthing measures are required. If it's good enough for a man with gold discs on his wall, it's probably good enough for your mate.

Cheers
Chris

I did one a few years ago for Pye Hastings of Caravan (yes - still going). 6mm SWA from house, industrial combined class surge protection unit (absolutely essential), then standard 32A ring and 6A lighting circuits from a garage CU. Only problem was the dimmer for the CFL spotlights which started buzzing in B flat. Replaced that with a switch and everything has been fine since. As far as I know, the audio earth is well isolated from the mains earthing on good kit so no exceptional earthing measures are required. If it's good enough for a man with gold discs on his wall, it's probably good enough for your mate.

Cheers
Chris

You cant beat keeping it simple, nice one.

Cheers..........Howard

Hi,
I would suggest taking a look at Tim Williams' book EMC for Systems and Installations I do not suggest single ended bonding of screens as this can cause more issues than it solves. The customer may be gettinng shocks because of lifted earths on equipments and so on. The correct way to solve these earth loops is to provide a parrell low impedance path to the signal wires, and also ensure that any supply cable has the current return in the same cable, so the loop size is kept down.

I would also suggest looking here EMC Information Centre and have a look at EMC for systems and installations. A lot of the noise can be reduced by proper selection of propper cables and connectors.

There has been mention of an AUDIO earth, what currents are you expecting down that particular rod? Why isn't that rod bonded to the mains safety earth?

Regards

UKMeterman

That's like saying a neutral at 0V relative to earth is taking no current. Electronics uses terminology in a different way to LV AC.
Cheers, Chris (ex Electronics Officer).

Reply to Recording studio wiring in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net