Discuss Request advice regarding sourcing for brushes for Honda CRV alternator in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

75Gremlin

DIY
Reaction score
I'd like to refurbish the alternator for a 2005 CR-V. My plan is to replace the front bearing (the one closest to the alternator pulley) since that's the one that has the most stress applied, and also replace the two brushes. Honda sells the brushes, but they are almost $100 for the pair! The Honda OEM brushes do include the springs (see attached photo) which is an advantage. Does anyone know of an alternative source to buy good quality brushes? From what I've read the main failure points are the bearing and these brushes. If anyone has a recommendation for replacing other parts while I have the alternator apart, please advise. Thank you.

Attachments

• alternator brush photo.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 1
Firstly if you're dismantling it to replace one bearing then just do both bearings, it's not woth trying to save a few bucks and having to do the job twice.

Are the original brushes badly worn? If so it's best to put the armature on a lathe and skim a few thousanths off it to clean up the commutator. If the brushes are worn short you can go to your local car shop and ask them to give you a pair of Bosch replacement brushes that are similar or slightly larger in size. You can then sandpaper them to fit in the brush housing and use them whole.

Alternatively sandpaper the new brush to fit in the housing then cut 3/4 of an inch off them. Then take your old brushes and sandpaper them so they're 1/4 inch long with a flat end but not so much the braided wire is affected. First you put the 3/4 inch piece of brush into the holder then put the shortened old brush with it's spring and contact clip on top of it. The brush is then actuall two pieces but it will work as good as a solid one as long as there's good con tact between the pieces.

Reply to Request advice regarding sourcing for brushes for Honda CRV alternator in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net