Search the forum,

Discuss Roof tiles on top of brackets in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

T0M0

Hi All,

Just done my first day of my first install which will be used for assessment. Enjoyed it but have no knuckles left!

I am using a schletter mounting system on a tiled roof. The tiles are lifting ok but i'm unhappy at the way they go back. The bracket is quite thick and it is causing the tile to sit up about 7mm. What do you chaps do to resolve this?

Any help appreciated and thanks for reading - T0M0

ps, i'm sliding the tiles up and not removing so I cannot grind the back

Problem is with the top row - can't slide the one above as the ridge is above it. Any ideas in this sort of situation?

Thanks for the reply

you need to remove the tiles and grind the back out to suit. That's what our roofers do, its quite easy, we all know whats its like when you 1st start, and it continues to be a learning curve just dont pannic.

the problem is the ridge. How do you remove the second row down because the first row won't slide up. I did try and remove them but it was disturbong the ridge too much.

Any advice appreciated - cheers

Second row its to close to the ridge,if removed it will disturb ridge cement seal, so start minimum third row from ridge. Otherwise risking leek later.

I'd be interested to hear how people tackle flat tile roofs where the tile has a thin profile. You have to be careful that you don't weaken the tile too much so simply grinding out the back isn't an option.

On the last few installs that we have done, we have cut the entire section out where the bracket protrudes and made good with flashing. Doesn't look TOO bad but I'd be happier to try a better solution.

@BiggSolar On the Small Plain (flat tiles) at 100 mm pitch we had to just cut the corner out on each tile (pain in the ***) to get them to fit flush, it was only a few mm, so there was still two layers of tile beneath the cut section, so 'twas ok.

If its bigger, you don't have a lot of option other than flashing :(

Reply to Roof tiles on top of brackets in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back