Currently reading:
Running PME (TNCS) outdoors?

Discuss Running PME (TNCS) outdoors? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

TheFullHitSpark

Alright guys, ime racking my brains and books trying to find out why my boss told me that you are not supposed to run PME outdoors to say out feeding a garage or a shed of some sort, i know about potential differences.... also i know some about special locations but i just cant understand why your not allowed PME, surely if the cable is protected by an RCD, the same as it would be if you was using an earth steak for TT what is the difference?? can someone elaberate on this for me please. if this is the case you would have to have an earth steak which would be a seperate means of earthing than provided from your source, but obvioulsly your (PME) earth would still have to provide protection for the cable feeding the (sub main).

Thinking outloud abit.. :p

If someone could show me the light i would be mostly appreciative.

Cheers guys, also as you all probably know this forum is the dogs go-nads...

read the 17th edition, nickname ( the bumper book of fun ) pme or tn-c-s supports neutral, connot run live connductor outside of building, best way is run phase & neutral, to garage,
and put earth stake in for protection, only to garage consumer unit though, bit like a builders supply realy, but thats the reg's
i could explain in detail, but would take a long time

read the 17th edition, nickname ( the bumper book of fun ) pme or tn-c-s supports neutral, connot run live connductor outside of building, best way is run phase & neutral, to garage,
and put earth stake in for protection, only to garage consumer unit though, bit like a builders supply realy, but thats the reg's
i could explain in detail, but would take a long time

Where is this regulation? It has obviously been omitted from my copy of BS7671:2008 with corrigendum.

1. Apart from some special locations as defined in section 7 of bs 7671 there are no regulations in bs 7671 preventing a TNCS (PME) supply being used to supply external equipment and outbuildings.
2. The DNO dont give a ---- about exporting TNCS supplies as long as it complies with Bs 7671.
3. The reason regulations on exporting PME earths or separating for external supplies which are not a special location cant be found in the BRB is because they are not in there.
END OF.

1. Apart from some special locations as defined in section 7 of bs 7671 there are no regulations in bs 7671 preventing a TNCS (PME) supply being used to supply external equipment and outbuildings.
2. The DNO dont give a ---- about exporting TNCS supplies as long as it complies with Bs 7671.
3. The reason regulations on exporting PME earths or separating for external supplies which are not a special location cant be found in the BRB is because they are not in there.
END OF.

Ah, a pleasure to read......

The impression I get is that the presence of extraneous conductive parts does not preclude the use of an exported TNC-S earth, it mearly means that they have to be bonded back to the submain MET with the same size cable as is appropiate for doing the same in the main building, and that the same sized or bigger earthing cable is used to provide the earth to the submain board, and as this is not always practical, a way of avoiding having to install bigger cables is to convert the remote installation to TT, and bond extraneous bits back to this

I think!!!!!!

pretty much what i think too :) -and once you get to about 12M of 10mm bonding it gets cheaper to to put an earth electrode in unless there is some other complicating problem.

Reply to Running PME (TNCS) outdoors? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back