Search the forum,

Discuss Scrap Metal in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

kevyn

-
Reaction score
I always keep my scrap cable to the side and pile it up for the scrap man. Recently i bought a stripping machine so that the old boy could strip it down in his spare time. I know that copper is the main metal that we use and keep for scrap but are there other things that you keep for scrap? Heater casings, metal boxes etc?

From what I have seen taken out of skips on my jobs if it is metalic it has a value, although I don't know what is worth it other tann copper and lead.

The land pirates round our way are stealing anything metal that isn't fastenned down so there's cash in any metal. The buggers pinched one of our neighbours kid's bike the other week, little lad was distraught

I tend to strip anything down that's larger than 10mm, will also do 6mm if it's easy

I also break down old fuseboxes for heavy copper and brass. Loads in wylex boards which break down easy (copper breaks before the wood does) but MEM, bell etc are much better built making it harder

Anyone else upset it's cheque or bank transfer only from either December 1st or Jan 1st? When he told me that on the 6th Tee at golf today it put me right off my game!

A mate of mine got investigated by HMRC a few years back and one of the things they picked up was over a few periods through the year he was not taking anything out of the business for his day to day living expenses. He told them that those periods were easily explained as that was when he had his weigh ins, straight away the inspector guy was clocking up an estimated bill so it's always been traceable to a point. Only difference now is that there's no real way you can hide your weigh in.
They're on to us just now, it'll be some other trade's turn shortly

Reply to Scrap Metal in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net