Discuss Shed hi tuff cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,
I rent a house and need a cable to my shed and unfortunately the LL dosent want anything dug into his lawn !
Before I get an electrician in i would like to know if this is feasible.
Could I run Hi tuff cable in either Aluminium tube to the shed or lay fence posts flat and clip cable too that ?
I’ve agreed to pay for the work and get it sign off .

There is no specific requirement for a cable to be buried, or at what depth, provided steps are taken to make sure it is not likely to be damaged, and in the event that it is it remains tolerably safe.

I would suggest SWA (steel wired armour) cable over hi-tuff as it is more likely to survive the odd clip with a garden tool, etc, and the armour layer make it very unlikely that damage would put anyone at risk (assuming the armour has been properly glanded and earthed). That could be clipped to a low-level wooden structure as you suggest making it an easy install.

The main thing to remember with any cable of this sort (SWA or hi-tuff, etc) is the minimum bend radius is typically of the order of 8 times the cable's diameter, and that is often in the 1-2cm region so you are looking at 8-16cm radius, or 16-32cm diameter pipe equivalent. It is much wider than most folks think at first. Where that is a problem is going through walls, etc, where you can't simply do a 90-deg bend in a few cm to lie flat.

Reply to Shed hi tuff cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Getting desperate to clear my small garage, and I have a bit of old red/black T&E. I used a few bits to add a socket or two in my flat and a...
Replies
Views
I'm planning to build a shed in the far RH corner of the rear garden. It will have a reinforced concrete base, wood structure, flat roof and be...
Replies
Views
A few weeks ago I posted this in another thread...: The tripping kept occurring, so I went back and moved a likely candidate circuit to the...
Replies
Views
hi all, i was directed to this forum by my neighbor seeking some advice and help at present, I'm having my front garden dug out so I can make a...
Replies
Views
Hi all We've had some works done in our kitchen which has involved fitting a new cooker circuit, installing some downlights to replace ceiling...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock