Currently reading:
Shower on Ceiling Light Flickers - advice needed please

Discuss Shower on Ceiling Light Flickers - advice needed please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello, I am not an electrician. I don't normally post on forums but I'm at breaking point with this situation and require some advice please.

Our new shower was installed earlier this year. Since it was installed when you press the new shower on the ceiling light in the bathroom flickers (strobe like) as does the ceiling lights on the landing and small bedroom (all on the right side of the house.)

No other lights flicker when the shower is on anywhere in the house and the bathroom light doesn't flicker at any other time when it is on (only when the shower is on.) We have changed the light bulb in bathroom and it's still flickering only when the shower is on.

When the shower is turned off the flickering stops immediately, however, the shower is on one consumer board and all ceiling lights are on a separate consumer board. We have been told the cable is correct for the connection of the shower.

With the old shower there was only a small dip in the ceiling light when it was turned on similar to when we put on our hoover and our downstairs table lamp dips in light once. We have been told this dip (or blink) of light is normal due to the load it uses.

We use a 25watt incandescent bulb in the bathroom. We use these bulbs as a family member has seizures to LED and fluorescent lights and can't use any other bulbs. We are aware they are no longer available to buy.

I've had 3 electricians out and also the local electric board to test equipment and they are sending us round in circles (electrician says everything is working normal and it's a supply issue and supply says it's a electricians issue as there are no supply faults.) Our meter doesn't reflect any issues so the electric supplier won't send any one out to look at their equipment other than the replace the existing meter.

We need to have a new hob and oven installed and the electrician has said we can't do that until we find what is causing the flickering issue, however, the electrician has said he cannot find the issue even though the flickering is visible and he has seen it. He has told us to keep a diary of when the flickering occurs (but it is only when the shower is turned on that it happens.)

The shower company cannot help us with this as they are only for installing and repairs even though we have told them it started when the new shower was installed.

Can anyone advise what I need to be either doing or asking because I'm at a loss on what to do and just want to get the house back to our normality again. I am not going to do any work on this as I am not an electrician.

Many thanks for your time with my query.

Reply to Shower on Ceiling Light Flickers - advice needed please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock