Discuss Signing off partially completed job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
This is a strange one, my neighbour is a bit mad, he had a largish extension built in about 2015, the builder attempted to do everything including the electrics. I had a look when it was first fixed and said it was done terribly and it needed starting again, so I did it for him. That was back in 2016.

2019 comes around and the builder is long gone and the customer is on;y now getting round to getting it plastered, but only the downstairs, I got him some electrics working in the downstairs bit, new consumer unit etc. Now its another 3 or 4 years later and I think his house insurance are pushing for a buildings completion cert but they want an electrical cert and Part P cert.

What would you do about this, I can sign off what I've done up to now but I know he has since done other stuff in the house, ripped the kitchen out etc, so who knows what state the rest of the electrics are in now I don't really feel comfortable signing anything off until its all completed to my satisfaction. But on the other hand he is very very helpful and despite being a bit "eccentric" has helped me out loads over the years.

Apart from anything else I don't think building control will issue a completion cert until its plastered upstairs and all the insulation in etc.

Exactly as James said.
In my experience if building control are 'already involved' all they will care about is getting something that looks like an EIC. I doubt they will actually read it. So if you sign off what you have done there's a high chance they'll scan it for the files, tick the box, and it won't be electrics holding up the issue of a completion certificate.
If you do find someone is particularly on the ball, then building inspectors are generally reasonable people as long as you don't try and call the shots and they understand that things don't always go to plan. They will invariably accept an EICR from a CPS registered sparks in these circumstances.

Certify what you have done. If there is other stuff that is energised but not your work, note it down on an Eicr as existing.
Exactly this. Certify and Part P what you comfortably can (even if it's just ONE circuit off a consumer unit, that's fine) and EICR the rest of it for your client's purposes to know where they're at.

Reply to Signing off partially completed job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net