Discuss Smartphone emergency alarm UK in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
So this Sunday coming, 3pm, the mobile phone networks in the UK will allow the government to send an alarm signal to every compatible device in the country.

Details here

There was a phone in topic on the radio this morning, so I’d like to mention a few things.
And I know this post will open a floodgate of conspiracy theory… all welcome comments.

This system is already in place in a number of other countries. Canada was named during the programme.

The alert is not doing anything that isn’t already being done by your network or phone manufacturer. You already get notifications of available updates…. This is no different.

The government are not controlling your phone!

Your phone will not suddenly send its data to some covert government department. All that is happening is your phone is being forced to show something on screen and make a noise. One way data from the network to your phone.
If the government wants your data, they’ll already have it without you knowing.

The test will be national, but any actual emergency alerts will be localised to wherever the emergency is. So a fire at a chemical plant in the centre of London, billowing toxic fumes into the air will not be a reason to send emergency alerts to anyone in Aberdeen.

I don’t know about big billboards in cities, or on the sides of busses, but here in the rural backwaters, there has been zero publicity about this. I think I’ve heard about it half a dozen times over the last few months… No tv adverts, no newspaper adverts that I can recall… Just the odd discussion on radio, tv or internet. I don’t think my parents even know it’s going to happen…. I’m going to call them tonight about it.

I personally believe it’s a positive thing, but wish there had been more warning about it.

TL;DR
UK nationwide emergency alert. Sunday 23rd April 3pm
This has been publicised for the last 6-8 weeks.

There is a setting for emergency notifications, within most smart phones, which allows them to be switched off.

Is this some sort of over-reaching government control measure? I don't believe so and similar systems have been used for some time in other countries.

Is it something I want to receive? No (hence deactivating it) as in most instances I'm fairly certain government definition of 'emergency' won't correspond with my own.

Well that was a bit of an anti climax. No alien invasion, nothing….

Did notice that they rang one network at a time…. From my POV, all the o2 phones sounded. Then vodaphone a minute later.

Update:

Apparently the kids received it, switching off emergency notifications kept mine silent and other half is miffed that she seems to have been left out.

Reply to Smartphone emergency alarm UK in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net