Discuss Smoke alarm replacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Col1920

DIY
Reaction score
Hi Folks.....I'm replacing hard wired interlinked smoke alarms with new battery interlinked ones. I disconnected old alarms and left the wires connected to cable connectors. My intention was to push these into the ceiling and position new alarms to hide this. Downstairs cable is 4 core, and upstairs has 2 cables....a 4 core and a 3 core. Upstairs cables are no longer connected to each other. I switched mains power back on and my lights have tripped. My question is, has this happened because I've broken the link and should the 3 & 4 core wires still be connected upstairs? I hope that all made sense. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

First I’m assuming what you call “3 core” is what we would call “twin and earth”…. A live, a neutral and a bare earth wire.
The 4 core being actually “3 core and earth”

Just sorting out the terminology.

The twin and earth at the detector upstairs would be the supply from the lights. Best idea would be to find where this cable comes from and disconnect from that end. If not, make sure the conductors of the t&e are in separate connectors, not connected to anything else and enclosed in a box.

Nice place, Dundee. Of what I remember.

First I’m assuming what you call “3 core” is what we would call “twin and earth”…. A live, a neutral and a bare earth wire.
The 4 core being actually “3 core and earth”

Just sorting out the terminology.

The twin and earth at the detector upstairs would be the supply from the lights. Best idea would be to find where this cable comes from and disconnect from that end. If not, make sure the conductors of the t&e are in separate connectors, not connected to anything else and enclosed in a box.

Nice place, Dundee. Of what I remember.
Hi, Thanks for your reply. Yes T&E and 3 core & earth. I don't think I can find where the t&e originates but I will certainly have a look. The wires are all separated. I've attached 2 pics. 1st pic is upstairs, and 2nd is downstairs. The 3 core & earth I assume is the same cable linking the other smoke alarm. I don't understand why it tripped if they're all separated.

Dundee is a nice place. Has changed a lot over the past few years. :)

Attachments

• IMG_6311.JPG
    388 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6314.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 20
the grey connector with the orange levers are connecting everything together…. Someone beat me to it.

You want them separated.

Can I ask why you’re not putting mains powered and hardwire interlinked back up?

I hope that you're not intending to push those wires above the ceiling with just those connectors on, and not enclosed in a box intended for the purpose.

Reply to Smoke alarm replacement in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net