Discuss Subcontractor rights in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am in an interesting situation here:

I have started with this company as a sub-contractor (CIS scheme) via an agency. The job should be long term.

It was all well, until they have asked me to go down to Wales (from Norfolk) and work there for a week. I have agreed thinking it would be for one week only. It turned out that they want me there for weeks BUT they do not want to pay for me travelling up there and back!!! So they aspect me to leave my house at Monday 3 AM and arrive on site for 10 and be paid from then on till 5-6 PM. And once I leave at around 12 AM on the Friday they don’t want to pay for the rest that I am spending with travelling home.

I think this is taking the **** big time! How could I make them pay for travel? Can I take them to court or something?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

As far as I am aware with you being self employed it is your responsibility to travel to and from the workplace without travel time.

I doubt that you will be able to force them to pay for travel.
In the past, I've just left at what I would consider my usual time if working near to where I live (about 7AM), and then get to work whenever.
I would then book my hours from 8AM, which would be my usuall starting time.
I take it they are paying for digs?

I doubt that you will be able to force them to pay for travel.
In the past, I've just left at what I would consider my usual time if working near to where I live (about 7AM), and then get to work whenever.
I would then book my hours from 8AM, which would be my usuall starting time.
I take it they are paying for digs?

Yes, thay do that.

I just can`t see how can a company expect somebody to travel 7+ hours down and back for free.

You should have taken it up with your agents before agreeing. Same with any change. Hours, duties, etc.. Your agent should negotiate it on your behalf. That's what theyre paid for.

Play them against each other. That's the best advice I can give. Been doing it for years. Everyone trying to get a cheap deal. Make sure it's not out of you.

Yes, thay do that.

I just can`t see how can a company expect somebody to travel 7+ hours down and back for free.

Some companies expect and get employees to do that.

Your travel time, if not negotiated as an extra is included in whatever they are paying you.
If you were directly employed by them I'd guess you'd be paid less.

I do a bit of travelling as a subby (but not with an agency), I tend to weigh up the amount of £ to be earned minus the costs of travel, taking into account 40p/20p tax break to work out how much profit im actually going to make.

If your earning £12 an hour or something and the scumbags are taking £20 a week to process your wages, and driving that you really need to have a word.

Some companies expect and get employees to do that.

Your travel time, if not negotiated as an extra is included in whatever they are paying you.
If you were directly employed by them I'd guess you'd be paid less.

Unless its an agency, and he could well be on 12/13 quid?

Reply to Subcontractor rights in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net