Discuss Supply Cable Size in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Client currently has a DB in his outhouse. It feeds a pool pump and an air source heat pump. It is currently being supplied using a 4mm T&E cable. He wants the DB moved to his garage. It will still supply the two pumps but also a socket circuit in the garage. Having done my cable calcs, 4mm will clearly not be enough as the cable will need to be approximately 10M in length.

I would normally use SWA for this but he is insisting on T&E if possible.

Advice please on what cable to use for this? He wants the smallest size cable and preferably T&E but I'm not sure I can do this as the cable calc I use doesn't account for using T&E for this. Can I use 10mm T&E? How about 6mm? If so, where can I find a decent cable calc and info on this? Thanks

What size of protective device is supplying the DB?
Are you completely renewing the supply or just extending it?

What size of protective device is supplying the DB?
Are you completely renewing the supply or just extending it?
He wants to see if I can utilise the existing 4mm T&E supply but I'm not really happy with this as my cable calc suggests it's not big enough. He is happy to change the protective device supplying the DB.

What is the protective device and the total distance from the supply to the location of where the DB is being moved to.

What is the protective device and the total distance from the supply to the location of where the DB is being moved to.
The protective device can be increased in size but currently 40A. The new distance is 10 metres. The sub-DB will supply the air source heat pump, pool pump, garage socket circuit and a lighting circuit.

40A is too big for a 4.0 cable so are you replacing the whole run?
I will have to replace the whole run or change the supply protective device. I suggested 10mm T&E as he will have a heat pump, pool pump, socket circuit and lighting. Would that sound reasonable and would T&E be ok? I normally use SWA for this sort of thing.

T&E is fine providing it has where necessary suitable protection, it isn't suitable for exposed use outside.

Reply to Supply Cable Size in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net